Skunks and scopes!

/ Skunks and scopes! #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
Here you go.

I have destroyed some out buildings on my property. They were chicken coops. Well, I took what was left of the chicken laying stations and placed them out in the field, so as not to get run over when the building came down.

As luck would have it, I had my brand new Savage .17HMR near as I surveyed my work at dusk the other night.

The field is a little high on the grass, since the cutting has not started yet.

Well, being of keen eye sight (NOT) I notice movement over by the laying station. At first I thought it was a cat. So I did not really think about it. Well, it turned out to be a skunk.

So, well. proper planning on my part. I call the misses to alert her I'll be shooting, and gently grab the rifle. Now this skunk has seen me, it's pretty close, really don't need the scope.

I take aim, and gently fire.

MISS.

Skunk looks up, and carries on.

WTH?

Aim again, and gently fire.

MISS.

Skunk looks up, and carries on.

At this point, I am out of ammo. Don't ask me why I only chamber two rounds.

I am taking the gun to the shop for sighting issues. I thought I had it dialed in nice the other week, but something is amiss.

The skunk, well, it deserves to live after that. :)

/ Skunks and scopes! #2  
Now this skunk has seen me, it's pretty close, really don't need the scope.

I thought I had it dialed in nice the other week, but something is amiss.

How close was close and what range was it dialed in at ?

/ Skunks and scopes! #3  
You are flinching , you will never hit anything .,

/ Skunks and scopes! #4  
At this point, I am out of ammo. Don't ask me why I only chamber two rounds.

Didn't you bring your bayonet?

:)

Bruce

/ Skunks and scopes! #5  
Good thing the "civi cat" didnt "fire" his weapon, he likely wouldn't have missed you!!:laughing:

/ Skunks and scopes! #6  
Well If it was me , I would just get a paper target, improvised or otherwise, and fire some rounds on paper at the range you would normally be shooting at and see where they group. Scope mounting screws could be loose or any number of other reasons. The .17 is a flat shooting round,, and unless he was under your feet I don't see the scope offset from the bore being much of a problem.. You didn't mention the range though:D Most likely thing is you just missed, but it sure would not hurt to group the rifle and see what you are dealing with..

James K0UA

/ Skunks and scopes! #7  
For what it is worth, I have found that skunks are fairly easy to live trap and release. I can no longer shoot an animal for being what it is, and live trapping and releasing has it's own satisfaction. I have not shot a skunk for years, but have found that you can use a Hav a Hart or similar trap that is wrapped in a tarp. Bait it with sardines. When the trap is sprung, walk up gently, place it in the back of a pickup truck and drive at least 5 miles away. Put the trap on the ground, wait a few minutes, gently open the door from the rear, behind the tarp, and wait for the skunk to amble out.

The problem with skunks is that you usually do (or will) have more than one.

Maybe useful

/ Skunks and scopes! #8  
I have found that skunks are fairly easy to live trap and release.
I just take your word for that.
I'm Not live trapping any skunks.

/ Skunks and scopes! #9  
So many of the skunks around here are rabid, that I will shoot them on sight, and leave it to the buzzards to clean up the mess. Opossums, Armadillos, and such, while a nuisance, they can live.

/ Skunks and scopes! #10  
Have you tried bore sighting it ? Should not take 5 min and you will know where the scope is pointing. Or shoot at something at least 12x12" with a small aiming point to see how it is off. That gun should be super accurate and you should not need anyone to get the scope set up. Its not hard to do and once you have done it you will be able to take case of yourself in future.