Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

Default Skunks and scopes!

Here you go.

I have destroyed some out buildings on my property. They were chicken coops. Well, I took what was left of the chicken laying stations and placed them out in the field, so as not to get run over when the building came down.

As luck would have it, I had my brand new Savage .17HMR near as I surveyed my work at dusk the other night.

The field is a little high on the grass, since the cutting has not started yet.

Well, being of keen eye sight (NOT) I notice movement over by the laying station. At first I thought it was a cat. So I did not really think about it. Well, it turned out to be a skunk.

So, well. proper planning on my part. I call the misses to alert her I'll be shooting, and gently grab the rifle. Now this skunk has seen me, it's pretty close, really don't need the scope.

I take aim, and gently fire.

MISS.

Skunk looks up, and carries on.

WTH?

Aim again, and gently fire.

MISS.

Skunk looks up, and carries on.

At this point, I am out of ammo. Don't ask me why I only chamber two rounds.

I am taking the gun to the shop for sighting issues. I thought I had it dialed in nice the other week, but something is amiss.

The skunk, well, it deserves to live after that.

Elite Member

Default Re: Skunks and scopes!

Quote Originally Posted by riptides View Post
    Now this skunk has seen me, it's pretty close, really don't need the scope.

I thought I had it dialed in nice the other week, but something is amiss.
    How close was close and what range was it dialed in at ?
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    john deere

You are flinching , you will never hit anything .,

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

At this point, I am out of ammo. Don't ask me why I only chamber two rounds.
    Didn't you bring your bayonet?

Bruce

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Good thing the "civi cat" didnt "fire" his weapon, he likely wouldn't have missed you!!
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Well If it was me , I would just get a paper target, improvised or otherwise, and fire some rounds on paper at the range you would normally be shooting at and see where they group. Scope mounting screws could be loose or any number of other reasons. The .17 is a flat shooting round,, and unless he was under your feet I don't see the scope offset from the bore being much of a problem.. You didn't mention the range though Most likely thing is you just missed, but it sure would not hurt to group the rifle and see what you are dealing with..

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Kubota b7800

For what it is worth, I have found that skunks are fairly easy to live trap and release. I can no longer shoot an animal for being what it is, and live trapping and releasing has it's own satisfaction. I have not shot a skunk for years, but have found that you can use a Hav a Hart or similar trap that is wrapped in a tarp. Bait it with sardines. When the trap is sprung, walk up gently, place it in the back of a pickup truck and drive at least 5 miles away. Put the trap on the ground, wait a few minutes, gently open the door from the rear, behind the tarp, and wait for the skunk to amble out.

The problem with skunks is that you usually do (or will) have more than one.

Maybe useful

Tractor
    Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920

I have found that skunks are fairly easy to live trap and release.
    I just take your word for that.
    I'm Not live trapping any skunks.
    Life is like a dick, sometimes it becomes hard for no reason whatsoever.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. ― Thomas Jefferson

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

So many of the skunks around here are rabid, that I will shoot them on sight, and leave it to the buzzards to clean up the mess. Opossums, Armadillos, and such, while a nuisance, they can live.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor
    Bobcat B200 TLB

Have you tried bore sighting it ? Should not take 5 min and you will know where the scope is pointing. Or shoot at something at least 12x12" with a small aiming point to see how it is off. That gun should be super accurate and you should not need anyone to get the scope set up. Its not hard to do and once you have done it you will be able to take case of yourself in future.