Air in water line - locating source

/ Air in water line - locating source #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
We have county water. Line from meter at road through woods is approximately 1000'. A booster pump is located underground and pushes the water the last couple of hundred feet. Not enough pressure at house without pump (we live at one of the high points in the county). Shallow well pump with 2 tanks, one in the pump house and one in the basement. Line/system in place since mid-80s. Last week started getting air noise in the lines. Water is clear, except of air bubbles Been raining here for days, but yesterday was able to open pump house lid and check in side. No visible leaks (I was hoping to see a drip on the in-take side of the pump). Since the system acts like a shallow well, I'm assuming the leak is on the in-take side of the pump, between the meter at the road and the pump house. Am I correct in my thinking?

With the ground so wet, it is impossible to see ground along where I think the line is buried that isn't wet. I think I have read about listening devices that can locate underground leaks. Is a local plumber going to have such a device or am I going to have to contact someone in Indianapolis (an hour away)? What am I'm I looking/asking for when I call?

Thanks,

/ Air in water line - locating source #2  
Do you get the proper water pressure in the house?

Does the pump cycle in a normal maner?:)

/ Air in water line - locating source #3  
My local water district has a listening device. I would check with the water supplier ask ask for help, some will and others won't go on private property, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Has the county been working on their lines? Sometimes my water has air bubbles after they work on their lines ,for a day or so.

/ Air in water line - locating source
Do you get the proper water pressure in the house?

Does the pump cycle in a normal maner?:)

House pressure is normal and the pump cycles as usual. So I'm pretty sure no leak down in the house. I did tighten a union in front of the the pump, but there was no drip there are anywhere I could find in the pump house.

My local water district has a listening device. I would check with the water supplier ask ask for help, some will and others won't go on private property, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Has the county been working on their lines? Sometimes my water has air bubbles after they work on their lines ,for a day or so.

I'll call the water district tomorrow. We haven't had a service interruption recently, but I'll ask. I'll also ask about a listen device or perhaps they know of a source.

The ground around here is clay and Brown County stone (brown sandstone). After 30-40 years, I assume it is possible that there could be some abrasion or crack. I am going to shut the water off at the pump house and check the meter. How long should I let it sit if it is a tiny leak before I should see the needle move on the meter?

Thanks,

/ Air in water line - locating source #5  
Have you tried turning all the water off and watching the meter? This should tell you if you have a leak. As you stated that you are one of the high points, any air in the county system will migrate to your location, so it may be a county water problem.

/ Air in water line - locating source #6  
I let it sit if it is a tiny leak before I should see the needle move on the meter?

My meter has a very small white triangle in the center that spins if there is even a small leak.The indicater needle for gallon usage would probably take several hours to see a change unless there is a large leak.

Have you tried turning all the water off and watching the meter? This should tell you if you have a leak. As you stated that you are one of the high points, any air in the county system will migrate to your location, so it may be a county water problem.
How long should I leave the water turned off at the house? I turned the water off for about 30 minutes, but didn't get a good enough read initially. to be positive on if the needle moved.

I let it sit if it is a tiny leak before I should see the needle move on the meter?

My meter has a very small white triangle in the center that spins if there is even a small leak.The indicater needle for gallon usage would probably take several hours to see a change unless there is a large leak.

The meter was mostly covered in mud, with just the lower half showing. I'll check for a triangle. That would be helpful.

/ Air in water line - locating source #9  
How long should I leave the water turned off at the house? I turned the water off for about 30 minutes, but didn't get a good enough read initially. to be positive on if the needle moved.
I would do this for overnite duration if possible. However, a water leak can be miniscule and still pass air. Complicate this with directional seals and a suction leak can be possible as you pump, but seal under static pressure in the off time.
larry

/ Air in water line - locating source #10  
Chances are all is fine. There may be a change in the supply water entrained air?:D