Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Default Air in water line - locating source

We have county water. Line from meter at road through woods is approximately 1000'. A booster pump is located underground and pushes the water the last couple of hundred feet. Not enough pressure at house without pump (we live at one of the high points in the county). Shallow well pump with 2 tanks, one in the pump house and one in the basement. Line/system in place since mid-80s. Last week started getting air noise in the lines. Water is clear, except of air bubbles Been raining here for days, but yesterday was able to open pump house lid and check in side. No visible leaks (I was hoping to see a drip on the in-take side of the pump). Since the system acts like a shallow well, I'm assuming the leak is on the in-take side of the pump, between the meter at the road and the pump house. Am I correct in my thinking?

With the ground so wet, it is impossible to see ground along where I think the line is buried that isn't wet. I think I have read about listening devices that can locate underground leaks. Is a local plumber going to have such a device or am I going to have to contact someone in Indianapolis (an hour away)? What am I'm I looking/asking for when I call?

Thanks,
    Barry
    Lawson Hill Farm
    NH TC40DA
    '64 IH Cub Lo-Boy
    '47 Willys Jeep CJ2a w/ PTO
    '49 Willys Jeep CJ3a w/ PTO & 3pt lift
    http://www.farmjeep.com/

Default Re: Air in water line - locating source

Do you get the proper water pressure in the house?

Does the pump cycle in a normal maner?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Cub Cadet-Yanmar ex450 -Ford 1300-Mahindra 2415

My local water district has a listening device. I would check with the water supplier ask ask for help, some will and others won't go on private property, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Has the county been working on their lines? Sometimes my water has air bubbles after they work on their lines ,for a day or so.

Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Do you get the proper water pressure in the house?

Does the pump cycle in a normal maner?
    House pressure is normal and the pump cycles as usual. So I'm pretty sure no leak down in the house. I did tighten a union in front of the the pump, but there was no drip there are anywhere I could find in the pump house.

Quote Originally Posted by amaxwell View Post
    My local water district has a listening device. I would check with the water supplier ask ask for help, some will and others won't go on private property, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Has the county been working on their lines? Sometimes my water has air bubbles after they work on their lines ,for a day or so.
    I'll call the water district tomorrow. We haven't had a service interruption recently, but I'll ask. I'll also ask about a listen device or perhaps they know of a source.

The ground around here is clay and Brown County stone (brown sandstone). After 30-40 years, I assume it is possible that there could be some abrasion or crack. I am going to shut the water off at the pump house and check the meter. How long should I let it sit if it is a tiny leak before I should see the needle move on the meter?

Thanks,
    Barry
    Lawson Hill Farm
    NH TC40DA
    '64 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400/ Kubota RTV 900

Have you tried turning all the water off and watching the meter? This should tell you if you have a leak. As you stated that you are one of the high points, any air in the county system will migrate to your location, so it may be a county water problem.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet-Yanmar ex450 -Ford 1300-Mahindra 2415

I let it sit if it is a tiny leak before I should see the needle move on the meter?

My meter has a very small white triangle in the center that spins if there is even a small leak.The indicater needle for gallon usage would probably take several hours to see a change unless there is a large leak.

Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Quote Originally Posted by plykins View Post
    Have you tried turning all the water off and watching the meter? This should tell you if you have a leak. As you stated that you are one of the high points, any air in the county system will migrate to your location, so it may be a county water problem.
    How long should I leave the water turned off at the house? I turned the water off for about 30 minutes, but didn't get a good enough read initially. to be positive on if the needle moved.
    Barry
    Lawson Hill Farm
    NH TC40DA
    '64 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Quote Originally Posted by amaxwell View Post
    I let it sit if it is a tiny leak before I should see the needle move on the meter?

My meter has a very small white triangle in the center that spins if there is even a small leak.The indicater needle for gallon usage would probably take several hours to see a change unless there is a large leak.
    The meter was mostly covered in mud, with just the lower half showing. I'll check for a triangle. That would be helpful.
    Barry
    Lawson Hill Farm
    NH TC40DA
    '64 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by lhfarm View Post
    How long should I leave the water turned off at the house? I turned the water off for about 30 minutes, but didn't get a good enough read initially. to be positive on if the needle moved.
    I would do this for overnite duration if possible. However, a water leak can be miniscule and still pass air. Complicate this with directional seals and a suction leak can be possible as you pump, but seal under static pressure in the off time.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Chances are all is fine. There may be a change in the supply water entrained air?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast