Dog trackers

/ Dog trackers #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
I have been using the GPS dog tracker by Tagg. long story short. All our dogs over the years have just run loose on our land out in the country. We have always lived far out with very few homes close by. Most of my dogs would hardly leave the house and or porch. What I have learned is my dogs grow up with unlimited freedom pretty much stick to home. If there was any hint my dogs were packing with others or causing any trouble, things would change. I work out of my home so we are both home just about all the time. When we do leave, they are left inside.

Last Summer we were given a Jack Russel pup for my birthday. But in the first few weeks of being home, he slipped through the railings and fell 10 feet on to a concrete floor. WOW near death experience, a bunch of chicken wire all over the house and $2000+ vet bill. The vet said even though he acts healed, keep him on a leash. Oh no, not the leash! Well as predicted, he wanted to wander but couldn't. So after a full recovery, we began to let him run with our other old dog. They really don't go far but you just have no idea where they might be. It is heavily wooded area. And come sun down we don't need to be feeding the coyotes! Also, this little fellow loved his rare freedom so much, he be out for several hours when it was very cold out. so that led to few free runs. In turn, loved that freedom even more. one day we spent several hours looking for him and all the tricks didn't work to get him home. I told my wife, if we just knew where he was, we would not worry so much and could make a beeline to retrieve him.

So hear comes the Tracker. after remembering the I phone had the ability to "find" other I phones with permission I found this Tagg system. I tell you, so cool to give him his freedom and know where he is. You can load an app on your phone, set ranges that send texts if he leaves to perimeter. The app also shows him as an orange dot and you as a blue dot on your phone from a map view. This view offers satellite photo of your surroundings. After having this for two months, he his acting like my other dogs. he heads out for a spell but MOST often is scratching at the door to be let back in. If not, I take a short hike towards him and he follows me back home.

There are two down sides, it does cost $75 for the unit on line, (includes 3 months service fee), $7-8 a month after first 3 months and 2) the tracker can fall off if they are really into going through thick brush. I discovered this yesterday when both dogs found a 'possum burrow in a huge brush pile. I mean the kind that was pushed there with a dozer. That Jack Russel was completely out of site bringing out possum and possum young. At the end of the day, the tracker was detached. I knew where it was based on the locator feature, orange dot on huge brush pile! So after spending 3 hours with a chain saw, metal detector I found it. They make a heavy zipper like sock that prevents that.

So not to act like I'm endorsing a product, but I have been very satisfied with this neat little tracker. Not sure how long I will keep the service going but it sure has allowed me to give him his freedom. I'm betting soon his freedom will be like his food bowl, always full so need to gulp it down.

Anyone else using a tracking device?

Patrick T

/ Dog trackers #2  
The 'coon and squrriel hunters here use radio trackers all the time. Theirs are collar mounted transmitters with hand held receivers mostly. Most haven't switched to GPS, yet. We have been fortunate that our dogs have stayed close to home usually.