What snake is this?

/ What snake is this? #1  

Susanjoyce

Bronze Member
Tractor
Craftsman
I'm in central Ohio and this guy is living in the foundation of the house. He comes out to sun himself in the afternoon. From looking online, I think he may be either a milksnake or a water snake, but we're about a quarter-mile from the creek. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• image-1136094979.jpg
    image-1136094979.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 299
  • image-2666317452.jpg
    image-2666317452.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 319
   / What snake is this? #2  
It looks a lot like a gopher snake. But they are not supposed to be in Ohio.

It does have a pointed tail???? Right????

/ What snake is this?
I don't know...I'll check tomorrow and get a picture of that end. A visitor noticed him and became hysterical, because he raised up and shook his tail at her, so I showed her he had no rattles, but that's all I remember.

/ What snake is this?
I didn't really pay attention to that end. A visitor insisted that he raised up and shook his tail at her, so I had to show her there were no rattles on it; beyond that, I can't remember. I'll get a picture of his tail tomorrow. Thanks!

/ What snake is this? #5  
No rattles on the end is the important part.

Does it eat mice, and other things you don't want around your house?

Is there a local extension service that would help you identify it. I know that Florida has problems with snakes that are invasive species, for example the Burmese Python.

/ What snake is this? #6  
For not knowing what kind of snake it is, you sure got nads of steel to hold it in your hand. Just because it has no rattles doesn't mean it is not poisonous. Seems you were confident it wasn't and by the looks of its head, its not.

/ What snake is this?
Actually, in central Ohio we have no venomous snakes, so there really wasn't much to worry about. Which also means that any snake here is likely to be eating critters that I don't want around, and so is welcome here. Mostly what I see are garter snakes and racers.

Last edited:
   / What snake is this? #8  
No,you DO have venomous snakes in Central OH,just not nearly as many as Southern, and Eastern OH. You have copperheads and the occasional rattlesnake. don-ohio :)^)

/ What snake is this? #9  
I went to Snake Emporium Photo Gallery and that really looks like an Eastern Fox snake, which species is of concern that it might be scarce.
Oh.....it HAS the habit of shaking its tail like a rattler,I believe. don-ohio :)^)

/ What snake is this? #10  
Now, I get to tell my snake story. A man and his sons, ages about 9 through 16 were tearing down a house near my place of employment. One of the younger kids was chasing a snake . I tried to caution him that the snake might be posionous. The child looked at me like I was lower than pond scum, and in a very gruff voice he said, He ain't poisonous! He already done bit me four times!!!