Doublewide. How bad are they?

/ Doublewide. How bad are they? #1  

B7500

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500 HSD
We bought our camp property last year and built a garage and wood/implement shed. Now we are ready for the camp.
After having the 2000 sq ft plans done I realize I can't afford the $150 - 200,000 price tag (the going rate is $70 to $120 per sq ft in this area). So now we are looking into a modular or even a double wide. The $61,000 price on a doublewide is a heck of a lot sweeter to swallow but how cheaply built are they? Would I be sorry or would it work for a "camp"?
-Terry

/ Doublewide. How bad are they? #2  
I know several folks who live in double wides. I am pretty impressed with them. They are very large an seem to be well made. Not the same as stick built, of course, but the ones I've seen seem pretty sturdy. Just watch out for those tornados! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Doublewide. How bad are they? #3  
Mobile homes have come a long way but the basic elements that always made them a bad investment are still there if you don't watch out. Find out what the floor is made of, if it's wafer wood or particle board, keep searching. All it takes is one bad plumbing leak and you will be replacing the floor.

Some manufacturers have stepped up the building material and some haven't. Also ask about insulation, while it's still on the lot and you can, crawl under it and poke around. Push on the walls, see if there's any give. If there's a plant nearby take the tour.

/ Doublewide. How bad are they? #4  
No comparison... go modular. There is not a doublewide out there built as good as a modular. One word would terrify me of living in a house with a chasis/frame and wheels -- tornado. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif After seeing some modulars being built, there are not many stick-built homes that are built as well as modular homes. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Our own government did numerous studies and tests of mobile and modular homes after Hurricanes Hugo and Andrew. Guess how mobile homes fared? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif There was a special on one of the few educational channels a while back on modular homes. It was a real eye-opener. But, no, I don't live in a modular... I have a stick built home. Two of my neighbors have modulars and they are very well built. One of them is three stories!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My next house will probably be a modular home.

/ Doublewide. How bad are they? #5  
Terry,
First off you need to see if they are even allowed on your land.

If they are then visit dealers and you will see differences among models and manufactures. When first married I lived in a mobile home for 5 years. It was a great "house". But repairs were hard to do. All the doors and cabinets were pressed wood so if a hinge was loose you had to fill the hole first because the screws would strip out the presswood. And I particulary disliked the strips that were placed over the drywall joints.

We are looking to put a new building were our camp is. We are looking at modular homes. Most of the dealers are also mobile home dealers. Some of the mobile homes are very nice. In the high end models they offer a taped drywall joint in place of the strips I mentioned above. This needs to be done after the mobile home is set up on your lot. It made a world of difference in the interior of the house.

After selling our mobile home we moved into a modular home. In the mobile home you always knew you were in a trailer. The modular home was no different than a site built house. The only way to tell it was modular was to go into the basement and you could see were the parts were bolted together.

In the long run mobile homes depreciate while a modular will appreciate the same as a stick built house.

Phil

/ Doublewide. How bad are they? #6  
Any reason you need a 2000sqft "CAMP"? I would hope your going to spend a lot of time outside so inside space is not as critical. The $70-$120 /sqft is for a finished home, why would you pay that for a camp/vacation home? Unless your going to be at the camp on a regular basis I would not want a mobile home at a remote location. Can you even get a mobile home delivered to a remote site? How about a log cabin or A frame. You can get quite a bit of livable space in an a-frame. An A frame or cabin can be quickly built, may need no inside finishing. Minimal plumbing and electrical. With $60k being workable price you can put up a pretty good size A frame.
If thats not an option then a modular would be my second choice. With it being a camp location consider alternative construction options.

/ Doublewide. How bad are they? #7  
Mobile homes (now-a-days designated as "manufactured housing") have one thing in common with other houses and that is a wide variation in the quality of the materials used and in the quality of the construction. IF you get one properly built and IF it is properly installed and set up, it will be just as good as a site built house. The problem is that those two "IFs" are seldom met. I bought a very small, used "house trailer" when I was 19 years old and it turned out to be a good investment. Then I didn't live in one again until '95 when I bought the little farm that included a ragged old 14' x 70' mobile home with many problems. I fixed it up enough for us to live in a couple of years, then ordered a new double-wide custom built the way I wanted it, but I still made a couple of mistakes.

And 3 weeks ago, we bought another little single wide in a mobile home park because of the location and price, but it's a Fleetwood product (biggest manufacturer in the world and builds the cheapest thing they can get away with). Like some other things, not too bad for the price, but far from being quality.

Like Cindi said, don't let a salesman talk you into particle board floors (they have some other names for them and will tell you all about the benefits and how that's better than plywood); don't you believe it! Insist on plywood floors (yes, that will cost a little more, but well worth it). The plumbing is another major factor. Our last double-wide had all CPVC water lines, brass cut-off valves at the toilets and under sink and lavatories, Moen lifetime faucets; i.e., much better than the flexible stuff many use. Then are plastic lavatories and toilets good enough, or do you want regular home type (porcelain) fixtures offered at additional cost.

What kind and amount of insulation, of course, but then what kind of siding? Many were notorious for rotting along the bottom. Some now have hardipanel that is not supposed to rot and some, as our current one, have vinyl siding. What kind and quality of roofing will it have? Are you satisfied with the heating and air-conditioning ducted in the floor (limits where you can place furniture) or will you insist on it being in the ceiling (as we did with our double-wide)? Check the quality of the cabinetry. A few are very good; many are very cheap. Are you getting storm doors and windows, or at least double pane of some type? Are the walls paneled? Vinyl coated thin sheetrock, or as has been said, sheetrocked, taped and bedded on site? Is 14 gauge electrical wiring satisfactory or do you want to pay extra for 12-2 romex? Are mini-blinds or other window treatments included? Does it have 32" or 36" wide doors? Are they regular house type doors, wood or steel, or the mobile home type that open outward (usually aluminum over wood)? Dead bolt locks included? Ceiling fans? Pre-wired for telephone and/or TV/Internet coax?

Look at the water heater. Is it in a drain pan large enough to carry off the water if it springs a leak?

And finally . . . I would never put another manufactured house on my own property unless it was set up on a concrete slab for a foundation! It's quite common to put cinder block piers on a small concrete base and level with hardwood wedges. Unless you use the concrete slab, you can bet on needing to have it re-leveled periodically (had this one done yesterday) at a cost of $300 to $600 usually in this area. I know of one area in which manufactured housing is prohibited unless it is set up on a concrete slab.

Some good friends of ours have just sold their farm and bought two acres at the edge of town. They thought they were going to go with a modular until the price approached $140k, so to get all the same features and size in a manufactured home on a concrete slab is going to cost about half that. I suppose those price differences may vary in different parts of the country.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

/ Doublewide. How bad are they?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any reason you need a 2000sqft "CAMP"? )</font>

Ask my wife. I agree that is excess but there may be a possibility that the "camp' turns into our year around home. I'd hate to have wished we built it larger or better.
Still, I simply can't afford the price I'm being quoted so I'm looking at all options.
Thanks for your reply.
-Terry

Bird,
Once again you've made so many good points I'd have to quote your whole response.
I will try and way quality with cost but I tell you it keeps me up at night..
-Terry

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One word would terrify me of living in a house with a chasis/frame and wheels -- tornado. )</font>

Fortunately we don't have those. What we do have though lots and lots of snow.
-Terry