Smoking?

/ Smoking? #21  
I remember my first and last cigarette, typical teenager thing. I thought it tasted horrible and never tried again.
Probably like many of us.

My mother died of cancer at 51 and she smoked heavily for years.
My father died of laryngeal cancer at 65, directly attributed to cigs he started to smoke in the Second WW and
cigars later on.

None of the four kids in my family every smoked, though I have an older brother who enjoys a cigar at times.
I think a pipe smells wonderful, not many people smoke traditional pipe tobacco. Somehow pipe tobacco never seemed to
bother me. But I can actually smell the person smoking in the car ahead of me in traffic.

Hardly ever went into bars, primarily because of the smoke, smokeaters or not. Now it's amazingly more pleasant to eat out.

our big tobacco companies are selling cigs like crazy overseas, a virtually huge untapped market. Let's get the Amazon tribes hooked on Pall Malls...

I wonder what other animal would intentionally put something in their mouth they knew was bad for them.

/ Smoking? #22  
Personal choice I think. People wouldn't smoke them if they weren't so good! Most states now control where people can smoke so as not to "offend" the non-smokers.

As a smoker, I know it isn't good for me. I actually prefer having to step outside in a bar/restaurant...it is a much nicer place inside and I don't have to listen to the whiners complaining about it. As for "killing", keep in mind that it only kills earlier. Great line from an old sit-com was in response to a lecture about taking 10 years off one's life..."those 10 are at the end and are pretty crappy anyway".

/ Smoking? #23  
I understand why people keep smoking (can't quit, addicted, etc.). But what I don't get, is why on earth would you ever START smoking. Other than pure stupidity due to peer pressure, why would one think it's a good idea to start puffing smoke into their lungs, and why would they continue after nearly coughing up one of those lungs during the first few puffs?

/ Smoking? #24  
I understand why people keep smoking (can't quit, addicted, etc.). But what I don't get, is why on earth would you ever START smoking. Other than pure stupidity due to peer pressure, why would one think it's a good idea to start puffing smoke into their lungs, and why would they continue after nearly coughing up one of those lungs during the first few puffs?

Good question! Years ago 1/2 the population smoked (both my parents did). So there's that factor. Since then, the "education" efforts have failed. Think about it...why were the tobacco companies so willing to give up on the so-called "marketing to kids" thing? They knew it had nothing to do with kids deciding to start smoking. IMHO kids start smoking now because they are bombarded with messages telling them not to...at a certain age they rebel and go out of their way to do everything they were told not to do (drugs, unsafe sex, drinking and driving, texting etc. come to mind)? My sons went through the school lectures and both smoke even though I don't leave any around, don't smoke in the house and their mother hates it. Go figure.

/ Smoking? #25  
Personal choice I think

lots of ways to hurt your body by not being sensible, but then, do you think we are all sensible all the time? not me...
Obesity is likely worse, alcoholism, drug abuse, they sure take a toll.
So does working in a coal mine.

As long as smokers understand that second hand smoke is for real, and not a whiners mantra,
then it's all a matter of keeping one's personal vices personal. And that means not flicking butts out the window.
Or anywhere other than a place intended for them. Why smokers think they are not littering amazes me.
I love walking into the hospital and having to dodge still burning cigarettes dropped by visitors in the path of everyone.
In front of the no smoking signs for the entire property.

Nicotine brings a lot of pleasure to folks, who for whatever reason took up with it. It's just self medicating, perhaps half of the smokers
should be taking light dose tranquilizers? Would that make folks feel better?
Not my business frankly, though I know the cost to society as a whole from collective addiction is enormous.
I have enough challenges living my own life to try to live those of others.

/ Smoking? #26  

Amen! As long as someone else's choices don't interfere with my or my family's life (which smoking does sometimes...I can't even stand to walk behind someone smoking, or stand within 10 feet of them outdoors), then carry on. I would not be opposed to smoking bans in ALL public places. It causes respiratory problems for my son and I.

/ Smoking? #27  
Personal choice I think

lots of ways to hurt your body by not being sensible, but then, do you think we are all sensible all the time? not me...
Obesity is likely worse, alcoholism, drug abuse, they sure take a toll.
So does working in a coal mine.

As long as smokers understand that second hand smoke is for real, and not a whiners mantra,
then it's all a matter of keeping one's personal vices personal. And that means not flicking butts out the window.
Or anywhere other than a place intended for them. Why smokers think they are not littering amazes me.
I love walking into the hospital and having to dodge still burning cigarettes dropped by visitors in the path of everyone.
In front of the no smoking signs for the entire property.

Nicotine brings a lot of pleasure to folks, who for whatever reason took up with it. It's just self medicating, perhaps half of the smokers
should be taking light dose tranquilizers? Would that make folks feel better?
Not my business frankly, though I know the cost to society as a whole from collective addiction is enormous.

The cost to society is what? Please don't come back with stats from the CDC. Taxes on the product more than compensate for any real costs (without even considering reduced costs to Social Security and pensions). If you want to talk about lost productivity and other myths, I'll simply quote that in the order of truth, you get lies, then "d*mned lies and statistics.

/ Smoking? #28  
The cost to society is what? Please don't come back with stats from the CDC. Taxes on the product more than compensate for any real costs (without even considering reduced costs to Social Security and pensions). If you want to talk about lost productivity and other myths, I'll simply quote that in the order of truth, you get lies, then "d*mned lies and statistics.

What about those that have suffered from the effects of smoke without ever smoking a single cigarette in their life? People that have died from emphysema and never smoked (except for secondhand) in their life. Those folks don't have the benefit of a filter in the butt, either! You cannot put a price on their and their families' suffering!

Contrary to popular belief (by many smokers), the smoke of those cancer sticks DO hurt other people. Non-selfish smokers will extinguish their flame in the presence of any non-smoker...I've never seen a smoker do that...

/ Smoking? #29  
teejk: collective meaning alcohol, tobacco, hard drugs, not just smoking

and I'm not going to look up stats. I think they've been pretty clear, but I
can only affirm your right to personal choice here.

/ Smoking? #30  
Amen! As long as someone else's choices don't interfere with my or my family's life (which smoking does sometimes...I can't even stand to walk behind someone smoking, or stand within 10 feet of them outdoors), then carry on. I would not be opposed to smoking bans in ALL public places. It causes respiratory problems for my son and I.

I hate it even worse than some of you seem to. I can't stand to be in line at the grocery store, if a smoker is within 30 feet of me. I can't imagine walking through life smelling like a dirty ashtray, even when you are not puffing on it at the moment.

My mom's dad, and her brother smoked. Both died horrible deaths due to it.

I love to go dancing, but quit going out to dance halls YEARS ago, because I couldn't stand the smoke.

Yes, some consider it their right, but even when they are not smoking, it still interferes with the rights of non-smokers, at times.

Just my $0.02. With that and a couple of bucks, you can buy a cup of coffee.