Smoking?

/ Smoking? #1  

300UGUY

Tractor
Kubota L3400, Farmall H
We got called by some old friends this evening, invited out for dinner. We met them in a local restuarant. We hadn't seen them in 5 years. They are both 60. They looked terrible, both having had cancer and several other health issues. After dinner, we walked out to their car, where they both lit up cigarettes!!! I asked if the smoking was a good idea, considering the cancer, the response was "doctors blame everything on smoking". Wow. I never smoked, so I don't know firsthand how hard it is to quit, but they seem to have interest in quitting.....

/ Smoking? #2  
Unfortunately it not as easy as just wanting to quit, super addictive. Deep down most everybody knows what it does. I to have never smoked, but have seen first hand the effects of it. It will age you by years.

/ Smoking? #3  
I'm with you 300. I don't get how anyone at this point continues to smoke. It's pretty much a self-imposed death sentence.

/ Smoking? #4  
Slow motion suicide. :thumbdown: However, everyone should be free to smoke if that's their choice and if they keep their smoke away non-smokers.

/ Smoking? #5  
A neighbor would turn off his oxygen bottle to smoke a cigerette! He has been gone for about 5 years now.
If you are still smoking you have too much money! Over $5. a pack, .50 cents apiece.
I guess people don't bum cigerettes from each other like they used to.

/ Smoking? #6  
I read an article once concerning Smoking. There are over 100 additives in Cigarettes, other than the nicotine. There is even a chemical added to make the cigarette burn evenly all the way around. Mice in Labs were given the choice between Cocaine and Nicotine, and the Lab mice chose the Nicotine over the other powerful drug.

/ Smoking? #7  
I wouldn't mind smokers so much if they would put the butts in the astray of their car (instead of on my lawn or the side of the road) or in the ashtray outside the building (instead of just flicking their butts in the general direction of the ashtray so that you have a 3-4' ring of butts around the ashtray)...
I hate the whole "the world is my ashtray" mentality that many if not most smokers which I have observed seem to have.

Aaron Z

/ Smoking? #8  
I wouldn't mind smokers so much if they would put the butts in the astray of their car (instead of on my lawn or the side of the road) or in the ashtray outside the building (instead of just flicking their butts in the general direction of the ashtray so that you have a 3-4' ring of butts around the ashtray)...
I hate the whole "the world is my ashtray" mentality that many if not most smokers which I have observed seem to have.

Aaron Z

Agreed! And if they keep their smoke away from me, but more importantly, my children!

My FIL dawned of lung cancer after smoking most of his life. My kids never got to meet him, but they know that smoking was a huge factor in his death. Every time they see someone smoking, they say "they're smoking, why do they want to die?" They are 4, 7, and 9, and they get it. Why adults don't, I'll never know. As a side note, my father quit 30 years ago (cold turkey), but to this day, he says he still craves one when he smells the smoke.

/ Smoking? #9  
Have you noticed it usually a woman that is smoking . Or those smoking left handed cig. rotten teeth and eyes with itty bitty dots for pupals.

I quit when the surgen general gave a talk of the problems of smoking . mid '60 and still can smell the cigar being lit a bolck away and the desire is still there.

The chewing I never used but work with some that only spits it out when eating and reloads as soon as the
meal is over.

Fil used camels or chesterfields cig . and remember when he awoke in the morning the coughing and choking only another cig. would stop the sounds.

/ Smoking? #10  
I quit on my 30th birthday 29 years ago. It was VERY hard to quit. My wife has tried to quit many times but always goes back. I wish she could quit.