Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

Default Smoking?

We got called by some old friends this evening, invited out for dinner. We met them in a local restuarant. We hadn't seen them in 5 years. They are both 60. They looked terrible, both having had cancer and several other health issues. After dinner, we walked out to their car, where they both lit up cigarettes!!! I asked if the smoking was a good idea, considering the cancer, the response was "doctors blame everything on smoking". Wow. I never smoked, so I don't know firsthand how hard it is to quit, but they seem to have interest in quitting.....

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

Default Re: Smoking?

Unfortunately it not as easy as just wanting to quit, super addictive. Deep down most everybody knows what it does. I to have never smoked, but have seen first hand the effects of it. It will age you by years.

Tractor
    JD 2320

I'm with you 300. I don't get how anyone at this point continues to smoke. It's pretty much a self-imposed death sentence.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Slow motion suicide. However, everyone should be free to smoke if that's their choice and if they keep their smoke away non-smokers.

Veteran Member

A neighbor would turn off his oxygen bottle to smoke a cigerette! He has been gone for about 5 years now.
    If you are still smoking you have too much money! Over $5. a pack, .50 cents apiece.
    I guess people don't bum cigerettes from each other like they used to.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I read an article once concerning Smoking. There are over 100 additives in Cigarettes, other than the nicotine. There is even a chemical added to make the cigarette burn evenly all the way around. Mice in Labs were given the choice between Cocaine and Nicotine, and the Lab mice chose the Nicotine over the other powerful drug.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

I wouldn't mind smokers so much if they would put the butts in the astray of their car (instead of on my lawn or the side of the road) or in the ashtray outside the building (instead of just flicking their butts in the general direction of the ashtray so that you have a 3-4' ring of butts around the ashtray)...
    I hate the whole "the world is my ashtray" mentality that many if not most smokers which I have observed seem to have.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    I wouldn't mind smokers so much if they would put the butts in the astray of their car (instead of on my lawn or the side of the road) or in the ashtray outside the building (instead of just flicking their butts in the general direction of the ashtray so that you have a 3-4' ring of butts around the ashtray)...
    I hate the whole "the world is my ashtray" mentality that many if not most smokers which I have observed seem to have.

Aaron Z
    Agreed! And if they keep their smoke away from me, but more importantly, my children!

My FIL dawned of lung cancer after smoking most of his life. My kids never got to meet him, but they know that smoking was a huge factor in his death. Every time they see someone smoking, they say "they're smoking, why do they want to die?" They are 4, 7, and 9, and they get it. Why adults don't, I'll never know. As a side note, my father quit 30 years ago (cold turkey), but to this day, he says he still craves one when he smells the smoke.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Have you noticed it usually a woman that is smoking . Or those smoking left handed cig. rotten teeth and eyes with itty bitty dots for pupals.

I quit when the surgen general gave a talk of the problems of smoking . mid '60 and still can smell the cigar being lit a bolck away and the desire is still there.

The chewing I never used but work with some that only spits it out when eating and reloads as soon as the
    meal is over.

Fil used camels or chesterfields cig . and remember when he awoke in the morning the coughing and choking only another cig. would stop the sounds.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

I quit on my 30th birthday 29 years ago. It was VERY hard to quit. My wife has tried to quit many times but always goes back. I wish she could quit.
    Alan L., TX
    South of Bugtussle
    North of Mustang
    On the banks of Buck Creek
    We don't rent pigs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast