BBQ is started!

/ BBQ is started! #1  

Ted Summey

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135
Started the fire around 6:15 this morning. Will be cooking until around 4 p.m. Then will wrap and sauce the butts to soak for about an hour. A few minutes before we eat the chopping will commence. Chickens will go on about 3 and will slow roast until about 5. Sauce will be applied and chicken will rest about 30 minutes.

It is going to be a fat weekend with BBQ pork and chicken, potato salad, baked beans, homemade Mac and cheese. Of course no BBQ will be complete without banana pudding and strawberry shortcake! :dance1::drink:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 166
   / BBQ is started! #2  
Sounds yummy Ted. You have all the food groups that I like covered there. :laughing: Potato salad, homemade mac n cheese, pork, chicken ... uuummmm.

/ BBQ is started! #3  
Started the fire around 6:15 this morning. Will be cooking until around 4 p.m. Then will wrap and sauce the butts to soak for about an hour. A few minutes before we eat the chopping will commence. Chickens will go on about 3 and will slow roast until about 5. Sauce will be applied and chicken will rest about 30 minutes.

It is going to be a fat weekend with BBQ pork and chicken, potato salad, baked beans, homemade Mac and cheese. Of course no BBQ will be complete without banana pudding and strawberry shortcake! :dance1::drink:

I wondered where that BBQ smell in the air was coming from this morning...Now I know...I'm right next door in GA. ..sure smells great....:licking:

/ BBQ is started!
Y'all come there will be plenty! If you don't like BBQ the other grill can grill what you bring!

It's a party!

/ BBQ is started! #5  

Getting ready to put a couple slabs of ribs on the BGE myself. I am intrigued by your smoker; can you explain how it works? Do you burn the wood to coals in the barrel and then put them in the smoker?

/ BBQ is started!
2Lane, yes the barrel has a grate made of rebar about a 1/3 from the bottom with a hole cut out to access the coals and the oak and hickory is burnt in the barrel. Coals are shoveled into the end of the smoker and spread evenly under the meat. I try to run the temp about 225 degrees F. Here are some photos of the other end of the cooker - it is a double cooker - and the burn barrel. The idea is to put the pork on for the slow roasting and avoid the temptation to look at the meat every so often. When I cook butts like this they go on and cook and the lid never opens until I wrap and sauce them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 137
   / BBQ is started! #7  
2Lane, yes the barrel has a grate made of rebar about a 1/3 from the bottom with a hole cut out to access the coals and the oak and hickory is burnt in the barrel. Coals are shoveled into the end of the smoker and spread evenly under the meat. I try to run the temp about 225 degrees F. Here are some photos of the other end of the cooker - it is a double cooker - and the burn barrel. The idea is to put the pork on for the slow roasting and avoid the temptation to look at the meat every so often. When I cook butts like this they go on and cook and the lid never opens until I wrap and sauce them.

Wow! Quite a rig.

/ BBQ is started! #8  
Ted, looks awesome!! You know if you would have given us a few days warning? day and half drive from Texas:laughing: Wont be anyone hungry around your place this evening:thumbsup:

/ BBQ is started! #10  
I'm with Western, a couple of days notice and we could have all piled in a rig for a road trip your way. I'd be happy to bring the cold beer! :thumbsup: