Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135

Default BBQ is started!

Started the fire around 6:15 this morning. Will be cooking until around 4 p.m. Then will wrap and sauce the butts to soak for about an hour. A few minutes before we eat the chopping will commence. Chickens will go on about 3 and will slow roast until about 5. Sauce will be applied and chicken will rest about 30 minutes.

It is going to be a fat weekend with BBQ pork and chicken, potato salad, baked beans, homemade Mac and cheese. Of course no BBQ will be complete without banana pudding and strawberry shortcake!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg  
    Beware of the barrenness of a busy life....Socrates

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: BBQ is started!

Sounds yummy Ted. You have all the food groups that I like covered there. Potato salad, homemade mac n cheese, pork, chicken ... uuummmm.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Summey View Post
    Started the fire around 6:15 this morning. Will be cooking until around 4 p.m. Then will wrap and sauce the butts to soak for about an hour. A few minutes before we eat the chopping will commence. Chickens will go on about 3 and will slow roast until about 5. Sauce will be applied and chicken will rest about 30 minutes.

It is going to be a fat weekend with BBQ pork and chicken, potato salad, baked beans, homemade Mac and cheese. Of course no BBQ will be complete without banana pudding and strawberry shortcake!
    I wondered where that BBQ smell in the air was coming from this morning...Now I know...I'm right next door in GA. ..sure smells great....
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Y'all come there will be plenty! If you don't like BBQ the other grill can grill what you bring!

It's a party!

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Getting ready to put a couple slabs of ribs on the BGE myself. I am intrigued by your smoker; can you explain how it works? Do you burn the wood to coals in the barrel and then put them in the smoker?
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

2Lane, yes the barrel has a grate made of rebar about a 1/3 from the bottom with a hole cut out to access the coals and the oak and hickory is burnt in the barrel. Coals are shoveled into the end of the smoker and spread evenly under the meat. I try to run the temp about 225 degrees F. Here are some photos of the other end of the cooker - it is a double cooker - and the burn barrel. The idea is to put the pork on for the slow roasting and avoid the temptation to look at the meat every so often. When I cook butts like this they go on and cook and the lid never opens until I wrap and sauce them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg  

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

2Lane, yes the barrel has a grate made of rebar about a 1/3 from the bottom with a hole cut out to access the coals and the oak and hickory is burnt in the barrel. Coals are shoveled into the end of the smoker and spread evenly under the meat. I try to run the temp about 225 degrees F. Here are some photos of the other end of the cooker - it is a double cooker - and the burn barrel. The idea is to put the pork on for the slow roasting and avoid the temptation to look at the meat every so often. When I cook butts like this they go on and cook and the lid never opens until I wrap and sauce them.
    Wow! Quite a rig.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Ted, looks awesome!! You know if you would have given us a few days warning? day and half drive from Texas Wont be anyone hungry around your place this evening
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

You definitely have the right "Fixins". That's a nice grill.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

I'm with Western, a couple of days notice and we could have all piled in a rig for a road trip your way. I'd be happy to bring the cold beer!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast