Railroad ties

/ Railroad ties #1  

trevelynzx

Tractor
Bobcat T300
Hey guys, I've been enjoying this forum so much I thought I'd branch away from my "equipment" questions and see what else I can turn up. A long time ago a railroad company abandoned their railroad that borders my property. They came down the line tearing up the railroad ties and dumping them in large piles all along the railbed. Unfortunately I got about three large piles on my property, but this was about 60 years ago - long before my time and certainly long before I owned this land.

I have the equipment to clean up the ties, but nobody seems to want to deal with the tar (creosote?) that they're covered with. Have you guys had success getting rid of old railroad ties? My last resort will be taking them to the county dump @ $120 per trip (it'll probably take me six trips...)

Anyway, mostly just interested to hear your experiences. Thanks in advance!

/ Railroad ties #2  
makes a good back stop for shooting!

/ Railroad ties #3  
I know in our state, railroad ties and utility poles can be incinerated in high temp furnaces typically found at cement plants. Other than that, they are regulated waste that must be landfill disposed (unless you are reusing as landscaping, fence corner posts etc.).

/ Railroad ties #4  
Hey guys, I've been enjoying this forum so much I thought I'd branch away from my "equipment" questions and see what else I can turn up. A long time ago a railroad company abandoned their railroad that borders my property. They came down the line tearing up the railroad ties and dumping them in large piles all along the railbed. Unfortunately I got about three large piles on my property, but this was about 60 years ago - long before my time and certainly long before I owned this land.

I have the equipment to clean up the ties, but nobody seems to want to deal with the tar (creosote?) that they're covered with. Have you guys had success getting rid of old railroad ties? My last resort will be taking them to the county dump @ $120 per trip (it'll probably take me six trips...)

Anyway, mostly just interested to hear your experiences. Thanks in advance!

You may not be able to put them in the dump because of the Creosote. Do you have a need for a corduroy road in a wet area?

/ Railroad ties
murphy -- i like your thinking... jersey is the WORST for gun laws, and my town in particular has an ordinance against "discharging firearms in a non-hunting scenario..." blah blah blah. as far as i'm concerned railroad ties are always in season!!!

Dep -- that is a great idea - i will call around to the concrete/ steel plants to see if they can burn them.

power -- if there's one thing in jersey that's worse than our gun laws, it's the NJ DEP... they are tyrants with grudges that just look for reasons to cause trouble when it comes to "wetlands." but yes, 2/3 of my lot is "wetlands" and the RR ties are so deteriorated that they'll most likely crumble when i scoop them up. the prior owner used them to line trails and flower beds some 30 years ago, and even those have completely fallen apart. unfortunately they're not deteriorated quite enough to pass as old wood.......yet!

/ Railroad ties
by the way, i have confirmed that the county will take them even though they're covered in creosote... for $120/ load! argh...

/ Railroad ties #7  
Around here they are sold at $1-2 a foot depending on condition. All the lumber yards, landscape supply, and the big box stores have them. I use them a lot. Built a bridge over my creek with 2- 10' as sills and 3- 16' as stringers. Use them as a base for those garage tents. Built some stairs up my backyard hill. I probably have 50 of them in use now. I have used them in landscaping projects for years. Don't get caught burning them though. The landfill will take them but they charge you extra.

Ron

/ Railroad ties #8  
Here they sale for $8 -$40, depending on size and condition. If they are any good, you may be able to sell them and wish you had more!! At the least, a craigslist add will likely get rid of most (if they are usable)

/ Railroad ties #9  
I would consider delivering them to the county after hours or burying them in your neighbors yard.

/ Railroad ties #10  
Leave them alone to finish rotting. A little dirt on top may speed rotting and improve appearance. Plant vines on/in them.

Bruce