System 2000 heating system

/ System 2000 heating system #1  

lamarbur

Veteran Member
Tractor
case dx45 cab
Have a guy coming this morning after looking at the home last week. He'll be here to tell us how many hundreds :)-)) of thousands the conversion will cost.. Anyone familiar with System 2000?

/ System 2000 heating system #2  
lamarbur inlaws had one installed about 2 years not the type i would install only because had no info on them at the time
well about 6 months ago unit was running all the time circ pump and fan picked up a service manual troubleshooting said it was temp sensor. replaced did not help company that
does area service came out also replaced sensor it worked for 2 weeks than begain running all the time again
tech came out and replaced mother board hopfully under contract but have not seen a bill talked with some co workers
oil burner techs they don't like them also heard they have changed the sytem .you may be looking at new one my /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifquestion if it is so great why change after less than 5 years
well just my 2 cents good luck
EDT

/ System 2000 heating system
not making any changes other than changing from all electric over to forced hot water. House is hard to heat even w/3 wood stoves going. Looking for several months now, I felt Sys 2K offered the best deal and best way to retrofit. It has limited life time warrantee and five years on mother board. You're the first person to hear/know of someone who runs this system
thanks

/ System 2000 heating system #4  
Lamarbur sorry what i ment was my inlaws said the system they bought came out less than 5 years and the company is changing it check out their web sight http://www.energykinetics.com/contact.html

good luck EDT

/ System 2000 heating system #5  
I have not used this system but I became
intimately involved with the System 2K construction
in my last job.

The company I was with builds automated welding equipment. I was employed as the controls engineer. The system we designed/built welded the scroll section of the boiler.

The system consisted of an old work positioner which rotated the scroll piece,
two MIG torches, and two seamtrackers.

It took a fair amount of trial and "recalibration" /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif to get
everything right. But once we had it
dialed in, it ran great.

After welding, the scroll goes to a rack where they are hydrostatically tested.

I know one of the selling points was the robustness of steel vs. cast iron. The concept makes a lot of sense, too.

I know this is absolutely of no help to your question. Just got excited when I see something I was involved in show up on this website..

/ System 2000 heating system #6  
That sort of boiler ( low volume / low mass ) have been around for some time. Teledyne makes pool heaters and large boilers that way. Many LARGE boilers ( Cleaver Brooks ) use a similar concept with water tubes which greatly lowers the amount of water in the boiler making things go HOT very quickly.

The low mass boilers are hugely popular in Europe, and have a bit of a market developing here also.

In my opinion, the key in the installation is the planning and proper selection of the pumps. "If the water don't flow the boiler won't go". There are safety switches that will shut it down if the flow drops to prevent it from becoming a steam cooker. Most people get in trouble when they try to work in multiple zones but don't fully understand the flow in the system.

Wwe made a deposit and will pay another 80% this Friday.. I lookedand looked. Most heating co's around here still believe in huge cast iron boilers. I wanted something different. In researching (4 months in depth at least if not more) system 2k kept coming up. Wrote the company in Jersey, read what they sent. Then, 2 weeks later, an offer for a list of recent and older customers plus their highest rated installers. Energy Kinetics offers yearly schooling and not all installers attend. One name kept pooping up and I called that installer. Very professional, made thre trips to the house. We walked every inch from cellar to second floor. I asked about one thing, he said it's too costly, go this way.. And on and on it went. I flet extremely comfortable with this outfit and took the plunge. For one, no super sized cast iron boiler, running at 70 - 75%. He offered limited life time guarantee on most of thesystem and other key components, 5 yrs. Written guarantee of 800 gallons max useage per year. Remember, our house is on a slope up from a reservoir, so the wind and snow really hammers pretty hard. Including the cellar of 1800 sq ft, first fl same, and 1200 sencond floor, all plaster walls, no sheet rock, he offered the best installation system. Best fuel use etc.. Finally found another person with same thing installed two years ago on other side of reservoir. Very cheap oil bills and no complaints. I believe I made the right decision or at lest hope so.

/ System 2000 heating system #8  
<font color="blue"> Wwe made a deposit and will pay another 80% this Friday.. </font>

I hope you mean 80 % of the deposit, not of the total job !?

Two points...There is no reason for you to be expected to finance the contractor. By this I mean that the Contractor should have the financial stability and credit to stock the job and begin the work without that much of a contribution from you ( 80 % ). Everything should be fair. A deposit of 25 % is fine and generally considered fair for residential work...but I would meter the rest as the job progresses. When the boiler is installed, drop another 25 %...the piping done maybe all but the last 5 % of so. Hold that last bit until you and the contractor have a chance to review the job and ensure that all is done and each of you is satisfied with the finish. A reputable contractor will appreciate this control and your desire to be fair.

As for the guarantee of fuel use, I will NEVER guarantee this to any client. I cannot predict the weather, I cannot control the temperature that the client will set the system for, I can't control whether the kids leave the door swinging. Whats the catch if you use 900 gallons ??. Does he pay you so much back ??? A guarantee without teeth is not a guarantee.

It sounds like you will win anyway. Its always a pretty good idea to get away from electric in this area.

Good luck, get the coffee and donuts for the installers ( it works wonders ! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) and enjoy a warm winter.

/ System 2000 heating system #9  
Hi,

I know this will not be popular but i've had a bad experience with the system 2000 and the dealer who installed it. Now that i have it i am always calling someone to come and fix the thing 2 or 3 times a yr. It's only about 3-4 yrs old. Any savings i might have had on fuel are used up in repairs, not to mention not having heat/hot water. Anyway, just one mans experience.

Using the word "guarranteed" was wrong on my part. I should have stated. all calculations with worse year records (last winter season in fact) calculates to fuel use of 800-900 gallons per year use. Our old home in Holland Ma was all elelctric. We went with a general hot boiler, forced hot water baseboard and tankless domestic heat. It ran and still soes, 600 gallons per year. Basing this on "this" home we're in now, 8-900 gallons is exceptional and I'd be estactic much more than just happy or pleased. He did say to me though, I guarrantee you won't go over 8-900 gallons of fuel. Mute point, but I can accept his calculations. Just hope they are in the ball park..