other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #1  

ncnurseryman

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 970
Today I bought a new to me 2011 Silverado 1500 crew cab with the 4.8 engine. Just got it home so I haven't had any time to play with it yet. Anyone else out there have the Silverado and what you think of it.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #2  
I have had maybe 5, the best model IMO is the Z71, best SWB I think ever made.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #3  
I like mine.. it is a 2010 with 5.3L. It is a nice smooth comfortable truck.. I don't put a lot of miles on it, so am probably not the best person to ask. But me and the Silverado are getting along fine.

James K0UA

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #4  
Got a 2004 Sierra Z71 extended cab with the 5.3L. Over 200k now. No real problems. Had to have one front hub replaced and had a slightly seeping seal on the passenger side drive axle replaced at the same time. Needed a new wiper motor control module, and the power steering has just started to lose boost when turning left. Less trouble than I would have expected for over 200k.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #5  
I will be watching this thread as I will be truck shopping this year. Chevy or GMC?

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #6  
Murph, I've had both, from 1500's to 3500's, I cant tell any difference in the ride or towing. The only difference is cosmetics and some design. I have gotten better deals buying the GMC though???

I bought my 1st 1500 in 92 I believe, then had a couple of 2500's when the Duramax came out. LOVE me some Duramax too!!

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #7  
That's what my employer buys. I had a 2007 that was constantly in the shop, including a new transmission @50K; then a 2009 which was virtually trouble free, in 155K miles the only thing it needed was front end work and one brake job. (Oh yeah, also a new roof and doors, but it wasn't the truck's fault a tree fell on it while travelling at 40 mph) :eek:

I currently drive a 2012... it seems to be a good truck so far
We have a fleet of about 80 pickups, they started buying Tundras but found that they aren't any cheaper to run. When it comes down to it they're all just rubber and steel... like tractors it's more a function of how you care for it than what you buy.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #8  
I have an '02 King Ranch (Ford F-150) crew cab 4X4 that I really, really like, except that with the 5.7L the gas mileage is only about 15mpg.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #9  
This is interesting! I have owned a number of Chevy Trucks. I currently own a 2006 Silverado crew cabs. For most of last year, and into the spring of this year when GM finally released the info on the new 2014 Silverado, I was daily looking for updates. For those who may not know GM began production on the 2014 Silverado crew cab on April 29th. Dealers are just now beginning to see them arriving. The extended cab version will begin production in July, followed by regular cab production in August. Personally I am not happy with what I have seen of the new 2014 Silverado. It may be all new as they claim but it looks like a smoothed up version of the 2013.

There is a web site known as the GM Authority Daily Digest, that you can sign up to where they will send you daily emails so you can track all of the new stuff GM has coming out.

I plan on keeping my 2006 Silverado crew cab for a while. The only GM truck I might even be remotely interested in right now is the 2013 Avalanche, which is being discontinued, and will not be produced again. According to the GM Authority Daily Digest there will be some very interesting new trucks coming out in late 2014, and on into 2015.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #10  
Had a 2001 1500 HD that I kept until 2010 and 160,000 miles. Great truck except the 6.0 was a little thirsty. Still had the original 4 wheel disk brakes when I traded. I then got a 2010 1500 LTZ Silverado crew cab. The only good thing I could say about it was the 5.3 engine and the ride quality. They really cheapened it up. Rear brakes were now Drums. There were cutout holes in the bed that let water/snow in (had a topper). Uncomfortable seats. The truck just felt "cheap" for a nearly $50k truck.

In December 2012 I traded for a 2013 F150 FX4 EcoBoost. Couldn't be happier. Very solid build quality, great engine, good ride, quiet, comfortable seats. My only complaint is the built in Nav System. Very poor software/implementation. A Garmin works MUCH better. The only plus to the Nav is the integrated Weather Maps.

Jack