Barn Cat

/ Barn Cat #1  

whistlepig

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 with FEL
My wife and I are not really cat people but after owning horses for 40 years we have learned that having a couple of barn cats around greatly reduce rodent problems in our barns and rodent nests in the equipment. So we have always kept a couple of cats. Feed them every day and take them to the vet if they get sick. After working outside all day today I was sitting on the back porch with a cold beverage and saw a half grown red fox run out of the woods and into the barn yard in front of our horse barn. One of the barn cats ran out of the barn and sunk both his paws and claws into this foxes butt. The fox spun around, bared his teeth, and growled at the barn cat. It was a smack down. This cat wouldn't back down. The fox finally ran off into the woods with the barn cat in hot pursuit. Either a very dumb cat or a very brave cat.

/ Barn Cat #2  
wow, it's such fun watching nature, tooth and claw! I vote for brave cat that knows its territory and defends it.

/ Barn Cat #3  
Wow.. that is a switch.. normally the fox wins and eats the cat! I guess he tied into the wrong kitty!

/ Barn Cat #4  
That was kind of like the wolverine treeing the bear. It happens. It is all about attitude.

/ Barn Cat #5  
A wee bit off subject but, after 40 years of horse experience, I'm surprised to hear that you're "not really cat people". Horses and cats are both body language critters. I suppose it's what pet(s) you were raised with.

I was raised with cats as a child and 'discovered' horses as an adult. Horses & I have always 'gotten along' as a result of my upbringing. Sure, I'm always cautious when being around such large "instictively prey" animals but, by & large, we seem to 'read' eachother very well.

Just sayin'.

/ Barn Cat #6  
Does the cat have babies? It's amazing what a momma will do to protect her babies. Some years back, we saw a deer chasing our German Shepard down the trail! The dog was running like the devil was on his tail! A few hundred feet later, we found a very young fawn.

BTW, this is a dog that routinely kills coons and a couple of years ago killed a coyote. But momma deer? No match! LOL

/ Barn Cat #7  
wow, it's such fun watching nature, tooth and claw! I vote for brave cat that knows its territory and defends it.
:thumbsup:
I also think the cat was in "defense mode". The old "David and Goliath" thing. Sometimes some animals show allot of heart, could you imagine if Chihuahuas where the size of a Rottweiler?? All that aggression would hurt somebody:laughing:

/ Barn Cat #8  
My wife and I are not really cat people but after owning horses for 40 years we have learned that having a couple of barn cats around greatly reduce rodent problems in our barns and rodent nests in the equipment. So we have always kept a couple of cats. Feed them every day and take them to the vet if they get sick. After working outside all day today I was sitting on the back porch with a cold beverage and saw a half grown red fox run out of the woods and into the barn yard in front of our horse barn. One of the barn cats ran out of the barn and sunk both his paws and claws into this foxes butt. The fox spun around, bared his teeth, and growled at the barn cat. It was a smack down. This cat wouldn't back down. The fox finally ran off into the woods with the barn cat in hot pursuit. Either a very dumb cat or a very brave cat.

I'd say a little of both :)

/ Barn Cat
A wee bit off subject but, after 40 years of horse experience, I'm surprised to hear that you're "not really cat people". Horses and cats are both body language critters. I suppose it's what pet(s) you were raised with.

I was raised with cats as a child and 'discovered' horses as an adult. Horses & I have always 'gotten along' as a result of my upbringing. Sure, I'm always cautious when being around such large "instictively prey" animals but, by & large, we seem to 'read' eachother very well.

Just sayin'.

Last year we had a 13 year old cat die in the barnyard. It's health had been declining do to age. When I went out to pick up the dead cat one of our mares, a very laid back and gentle horse, went crazy. It started charging me while snorting, rearing, and was spinning around. I had to drop the cat. Not for fear of the horse attacking me but because a spinning 1,000 pound horse can move a lot quicker than me. We had to put the mare in a stall while I removed the cat.