Zero Turn Mowers

/ Zero Turn Mowers
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Go to the seller and have your FEL get on and off one. I have bad knees etc and it [ZTR] is easier to run but can be a little tricky to get on and off with infirmities. bcs )</font>

That is exactly the plan. however, I'm doing the preliminary legwork first. From what I've seen, I honestly think the Scag and Kubota would be the easiest for him to walk up on. I"ve seen him get on the Kubota and it's about a 3 step shuffle for him to do it... step on deck, plant both feet, step (and shake) to platform, plant both feet (more shake) then sit down. Once sitting, he's absolutely fine as long as his legs are crossed at the ankles.

The 2 I've seen so far that my gut says are going to be easier for him are the Scag & Kubota. Some of the others seem to have a deeper platform he has to step down into.

New update: Brother in law told him that Country Clipper approached him about being a dealer. The brochures clearly state that to be one, you must buy 3 units. The units ALSO look to have the deeper floor pan that I 'think' will be an issue (but what do I know).

Now, FIL wants to call this company and buy one wholesale because they approached his son about becoming a dealer.

It seems it's all about spending (not) the money rather than finding the best one that fits him! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The diesel desire, is just me trying to get all the power goodies using the same fuel which I have in bulk (relative to gasoline).

Richard

/ Zero Turn Mowers #12  
I have a Toro 62" 25HP Kohler ZTR. I chose gas over diesel becuase even though I mow about 3 acres I accumulate relatively few hours a year--50 or so-- and I didn't think the extra cost of the diesel was justified. A consideration was avoiding the cooling system maintenance on a liquid cooled machine. A second consideration when comparing to the Kubota was the unknown of a relatively new design with an "all in one" drive unit. By comparison the Toro, and most ZTR's I have looked at, use descrete components--two pumps, two wheel motors. I think this design is easier and less expensive to repair if necessary. Same with belt drive--my experience is that the belt drive system on the Toro is very reliable and durable--and I expect less expensive to repair than the drive line/gears on the Kubota.

A down side of gas engines is that they generally use more fuel and you don't generally have the alternative of buying untaxed off road fuel as you do with a diesel. Diesel engines are generally more durable but I find it hard to believe that you will face a durability issue with 3 acres +. Commercial cutters typically put 6-800 hours per year and get several years from the gas powered units. However, another way to think about it is that you can replace the 25HP gas engine with a new one for less than the price premium of the diesel.

A flip up deck would be a very desirable feature in my opinion. They make it easy to remove the blades to sharpen them and make cleaning easy. This feature is available in relatively few ZTR's

A final consideration is an articulating front wheel arrangement--that the Kubota has and the Toro does not. I did not fully understand this when I purchased. If you have uneven terrain I think an articulating front axle is very desirable--it helps keep 4 wheels on the ground rather than three in uneven terrain.

In any event I would suggest trying the unit you think you want to purchase on your terrain prior to making an irrevokable commitment to purchase the unit! Try to get typical conditions--which is likely to include some moisture. One thing about ZTR's is that they act a little like sleds in wet conditions working down a steep slope.

I presently use a Power Trac unit for my steep slopes and love it. There is a Power Trac forum on this board if you want more information, or you can to the Power Trac web site where you can see pictures of the units.

/ Zero Turn Mowers #13  
Richard,

Maybe this forum will be of some assistance. There's a lot of conversation by people in the lawn care business.
http://www.lawnsite.com/

Good luck with your decision.

Glenn

/ Zero Turn Mowers #14  
Richard, I don't know much about the ZTRs, but now that we're back in the city, there are commercial lawn care trucks, trailers, and equipment everywhere, and it seems to me that perhaps the most popular one around is the Scag Turf Tiger, but it also appears that the Kubota is gaining on them. No actual count; just my visual observations and impression.

/ Zero Turn Mowers #15  
Richard,

Just went thru that whole wonderful experience /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif anyway, I looked at about every z known to man. One that you should take a look at is made by Ferris. It's bult like a tank, has indepent suspension on each wheel, (what a smooth ride), a diesel engine is availible for it--made by Cat. I can't remember if it has hydraulic deck lift thu. Very impressive machine. About $8500 with a gas engine (didn't price diesel). I , however, due to financial constants, bought a used Snapper(great machine so far). As far as a lift up deck, I run mine up on car ramps to hose it off and I lay on my creeper to change blades(with it up on the ramps).
Gollum

/ Zero Turn Mowers #16  
Richard, I bought a used 60 Inch Scag from a guy going out out of the lawn care business. It is an 2001 turf tiger with the 27hp liquid cooled Kaw. Paid $4800 it had 261 hrs and a broken seat (former owner was huge). I could see where the deck height pedal could be a problem for someone with bad hips. It is waaay faster than my yanmar with finish mower, can mow in 1/3 the time as before and cuts better. It was 2 years old when puchased just for a value point. It turned into a welding project on the seat frame and then an upholstery project.

Attachments

• 318096-scagseat1sc.JPG
    318096-scagseat1sc.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 314