Slow blueberries

/ Slow blueberries #1  

KTurner

Gold Member
This time last year, I'd been picking blueberries for two weeks, but I haven't seen a ripe one yet this year. It does look like we're going to have more berries than last year. How are your blueberries doing?

btw, this is in southeast virginia.

Keith

/ Slow blueberries #2  
Early last year a neighbor's kid and his friends decided to cut through my property and then back again, several times on four wheel atv's. The path of least resistance was across my blueberry patch (about 110 plants). Pretty much destroyed them, and I was ticked to say the least. The Dad and I had a discussion, kids haven't been back. I dropped the discussion, because he has been good to me, loaning me a brand new John Deere when I needed a loader, without question. (tractor had 2 hours on the meter). Keys in it, use it anytime you need it type of attitude, a gesture I appreciated and did not take lightly. Anyway, briars and blackberry bushes pretty much engulfed the area. A couple weeks ago, I discovered that under all those briars, there were blueberries ready for picking. So... for the last two weeks the wife and I have been ripping out briars taller than us and clearing around the plants. Probably lost 65 percent of the plants, but what remains seem to be pretty hardy. Considering they haven't been watered, fertilized, and have had the sun blocked for the most part, the quart or so of berries so far has been a welcomed blessing. Blueberry pancakes, berries on homemade ice cream, (and a few while picking, lol) has made the work a little less of a burden.
Hope your berries are just coming in a little late, and you have a bountiful harvest.
David from jax

/ Slow blueberries #3  
Mine are slow to ripe this year too. Also have plenty of them with all the rain but as of tasting one yesterday, nope still needs more time.

/ Slow blueberries #4  
Have lots of berries but still green as well. Im assume the cool weather has had something to do with it.
Love blue berries and blackberries too, probably a good thing because we have so many blackberries. :laughing:

Sandman, sounds like the survivors are super berries!

/ Slow blueberries #5  
around here they are not ready to july or aug. If you guys are late down south, it might be late around here too.

/ Slow blueberries #6  
I picked about a gallon and put them in the freezer.
My bushes are loaded up but I haven't had time to pick them. :( I have told freinds they were ready but everybody seems too busy also.
The birds are pigging out!
For pancakes make sure you add Cinimin to the mix. (YUM!!) Pour the batter on the griddle then sprinkle the berries into it to get them even.
My berries are the size of a dime too!

Attachments

• 000_0711.jpg
    000_0711.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 000_0716.jpg
    000_0716.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 74
   / Slow blueberries #7  
Wife has picked about a gallon of blue berries and a gallon of black berries in the last couple of days. She canned every one of them maybe I'll get some on my pancakes tomorrow

/ Slow blueberries #8  
around here they are not ready to july or aug. If you guys are late down south, it might be late around here too.

+ another

/ Slow blueberries #9  
im guessing their highbush, what varieties do you have?

/ Slow blueberries #10  
Put your location in your profile