100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Highway.... New York to San Francisco

/ 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Highway.... New York to San Francisco #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
As part of the commemoration two groups of cars will retrace the original 1913 route... one from San Francisco and the other from New York.

I plan to park alongside the road as they drive by my place around 8 tomorrow morning and follow for a bit with the Model A

Recently noticed Lincoln Highway signs springing up along the roads I drive...

Today a neighbor turned 100 and there was quite a gathering... she lives all alone in her home of 55 years since her husband passed in 2000... quite amazing to be so sharp and able to do all your own cooking housework at a 100 and call a cab when she needs to go shopping.

So this is my weekend for 100 year celebrations...

Anyone else near the Lincoln Highway?

/ 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Highway.... New York to San Francisco #2  
Lincoln Highway News | News about America's premiere coast-to-coast highway.

butko_lhmapl.gif

/ 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Highway.... New York to San Francisco #3  
My place is on the original road, and up the hill is a marker where Lincoln spent some time apparently. It is just east of Jeromesville or west of Wooster Ohio.

Might have to watch for them...

Mark

/ 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Highway.... New York to San Francisco
   / 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Highway.... New York to San Francisco #5  
Thanks from posting. From its infant stage to the intricate Interstate system today, who would have thought.

/ 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Highway.... New York to San Francisco #6  
Cool thread, and thanks for the links. The Lincoln Highway passes about three miles North of my house. I travel on it every day.

/ 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Highway.... New York to San Francisco #7  
It passes thru Sacramento and along what is now I-80. Auburn Blvd in Sacramento was original route, was US-40 before I-80 was built.

In the 1940's, it went right past Bob Will's and his Texas Playboys "Will's Point" club in Sacramento. He had moved here from Texas for some years.
Sac History Happenings: New journal discusses Sacramento's country music roots
My Grandmother(turned 100 last December) and parents talk about how the ride from Sacramento to Reno took hours and hours back in the 40's and 50's. After I80 went in in the '60's, it took less than 2 hours.

It is interesting, some of the maps show the early versions following what is now US-50 thru Nevada and California. It mostly ignored the later route of old US-40/I-80 in Nevada.

I was along the road on a portion of the "Historic" Lincoln Highway this morning watching the cars go by... near the lead was a car that drove the entire route 98 years ago...

The Historic portion is just as it was in 1913 except it is paved... goes right by a school with the charter signed by Abe Lincoln between Castro Valley and Dublin California...

It was an eclectic mix of vehicles... from the early teens to a Mini Cooper...

The section I was on only the Lincoln from 1913 to 1927 at which time a new bridge was built in Crockett.

/ 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Highway.... New York to San Francisco #9  
Our family had a Western Auto Store on the Lincoln Highway (US 33) in northern Indiana back in the 1950's thru 1976. I swept a lot of dirt from our sidewalk into that Lincoln Highway.

As a kid I would love to visit the Western Auto store on Highway 50...

Would find things that other places did not offer... at least for a kid of 10.

The owners were real nice and treated me like a real customer even though my purchases were a buck or two...