Bootlaces

/ Bootlaces #21  
the laces on my rockies have had the outside shell fall off and is just white on most of it and they have broken a bit short but they still work. This is after like 3 years or so.

What are yall doing with your boots?

I am a forester and wear these boots most of the time, with slipons being the other most of the time. I would say i wear them on avg of 4 days a week all year, the others make up the other time. I am at a desk, in the car, and through the woods every so often or a clearcut. I wear them at home to weekwack, cut grass and firewood as they have steel toe.

I mean i just dont see how some of you are wearing laces out in months? Maybe yall tie your boots so there so tight there about to cut off your circulation?
I can only speak for myself; but I wear my boots more than you do... I walk about 20 miles a week laying out wood, cruising, et al. By the time you replace your laces I've gone through 3pairs of boots. :eek:

It doesn't matter who makes them; a pair of leather boots will barely last a year. I bought my current Carolinas last August; already the leather's cracking and the soles are falling off. The one pair of redwings that I've tried lasted about the same... and $250 is a lot of money to shell out for a pair of boots, to me at least. The $80 pair that I bought from Cabelas was just as good.

/ Bootlaces #22  
Yea i dont cruise timber, anymore, and if i do its more of a novelty. I barely walk lines. I have another forester that does that. I do a lot of driving in a truck to check on the crews, talk to the owner or forman, take a quick look when there near something that can be messed up, but in clear cuts and many places i dont look as i can see across it. Many times i have roads that go all around a site and can drive it. I do walk in the clear cuts or though the thinnings though to, but not as much as years ago, just due to time, i dont have enough of it.

/ Bootlaces #23  
More than 20 years ago I bought a pair of Austrian made mountaineering boots...

The exchange rate was favorable and the shop rebated the 20% tax when I showed my passport.

Have to say these boot have been indestructible so far... and they have a flat type of cord laces.

/ Bootlaces #25  
I have had problems with the laces in my Chippewa boots so I replaced them with black para cord from gander mountain and I'm on my 2nd pair of boots with the same laces. Just melt the ends and double knot them when you tie them because they come untied a little easier

/ Bootlaces #27  
I burnt through laces on the rate of about one pair every 2 years.

Then I came across these from Duluth

Pair of 54" Kevlar Boot Laces - Duluth

Trading

Kevlar laces are AUSOME! not even a single fray showing with 4+ years on them.

Well tell you what,be a cold day in Florida when (removed) pays near 5 bucks with shipping for a pair of boot laces when I can get myslef 5 or 6 pair of the fluorescent laces out of a hank of that Ollies cord. Some might call me cheap, but I worked for my money all my life, and dang sure don't see any reason to be throwing it away now. Before I paid 5 bucks for a pair of laces I'd stop next to a pile of curtain rods somebody put to the curb for pickup and pull that cord out of the rods.

Beside3s which, if you read up on kevlar you'd know it's entirely the wrong material to make a lace from. Shoot, might as well use bailing twyne as kevlar.

/ Bootlaces #28  
Paracord, I've never used it but it looks like it would work better than regular shoe laces.

Sterling Rope Paracord 50ft - Sportsman's Warehouse

Yes that's 550 cord. We used it in the military for everything. Great stuff. We'd replace our bootlaces with it all the time. You never knew when you might need some for something. We'd leave them extra long so we could cut a little off if need be. I'd recommend it for sure. Sportsmans Guide is another good website that sells it in big rolls at good prices.

/ Bootlaces #29  
After a lifetime of wearing nothing but USA made boots and most of the handemade to order, day in and day out I offer my observation. If you are gonna buy good boots that are rebuildable, you want to have laces that are not wearing like iron. Really heavy duty laces will wear through your copper hole rivets. I would rather have to replace my laces than the holes. If you buy throw away footwear like most the country does now, than you might as well use anything you want for laces.

/ Bootlaces #30  
I think my chippewa boot laces did break off in no time. These rocky laces seem to be doing ok.

As for custom boots, work buys them for me. They will pay $130 for a pair of steel toe boots. They wont pay for the custom ones for $400 so i will just get a pair every year or when ever from work. Also i cant wear some of those, i have tried nicks and i think one other company maybe whites now they were not my boots but some one else. My toes did not fit in the toe cap and they cut my toes like crazy. Red wings do the same. I dont have a wide foot by the foot measurer but i guess i have a wide front? If i get wide boots my foot shifts side to side? But every company but rocky thier steel toes cut into the tops of my big toe knuckles and will cut into my small toes front. I stick with rocky cause i have had several different models and they all fit and i dont know the steel is in the boot. GA boots are ok to me but still hit my toes in the right terrain esp walking up and down slopes, but they are fine in flat ground?