Bootlaces

/ Bootlaces #1  

wyeguy

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1100
All I buy is Redwings and a few years ago the laces wore like iron compared to now. The shoe store where I buy them doesn't even carry decent laces that wear well anymore. If I get more than a couple months in the replacements I'm doing good. Anyone have any ideas for what I might try? Thanks.

/ Bootlaces #2  
Could you make your own out of 1/8" cord?

/ Bootlaces
I could sure try some cord that looks like it would wear well. And I've seen the rawhide, just didn't think they'd wear well. May have to try them. And if paracord works, that'd be a lot of laces for the price. Thanks for the ideas.

/ Bootlaces #6  
Ran into that very same issue when I retired from trucking. One day I was in a store called Ollies, about the closest thing to an old general store you find any more, and I spotted these 100 foot hanks of sort of thick blind cord for cheap. First hank I bought was the fluorescent yellow stuff, took and laced up a pair of boots with it, you gotta melt the ends when you cut it so it don't unravel, and it worked really good.

I tell you it was the first time in my life I ever got complements on my boot laces being spiffy. Seemed a bit strange to me, man of my age and all, but what the heck did I care. Next time I was in that Ollie place I got a hank of the fluorescent pink cord, same price, and one of the orange too. That cord ain't just good for boot laces, it's good for tieing up just about anything.

I laced up another pair of boots with the pink and I tell you women went to noticing. I'd just grin when they said something about a fellow with pink laces, then I'd tell em how I was supporting the breast Cancer thing, and figured I was man enough to wear pink laces. Reaction I got was so good I went back to my place and relaced all my boots with the hot pink. It sure does attract women folks.

Only bad part is when I'm welding or cutting sometimes a hot gob will fall and land in my lace burning right through it, but I got spare under the seat of my Dodge Power Wagon just in case.

/ Bootlaces #7  
Notice the same thing...

On one of my boots I went and took the old laces off that had seen everything for about 10 years till the sole wore through and the laces were still good...

/ Bootlaces
I'm sure one of these ideas will work. Thanks for the suggestions. Hot pink doesn't do anything for me one way or another... Just don't need to be attracting any ladies right now ;-)

/ Bootlaces #10  
I have the same complaint, it wasn't uncommon for a pair of laces to lalst the lifetime of the boot. I'll have to try some of tge above. (sans the hot pink thou
gh;))
You're right to avoid the rawhide.
I use if on one of my compasses so that I can tell at a glance that I'm not grabbing my clinometer. It may look stylish to some but it's expensive and not very strong. And when it gets wet it's nearly impossible to untie.