130 degrees in Death Valley

/ 130 degrees in Death Valley #21  
Well, it got so hot in Georgia one year the cows froze to death. Yep, all the corn in the fields started popping, the cows thought it was snowing and shivered themselves right on to death.

I ain't right.

It ain't so bad in the shade.

You've been in the heat too long. :)

/ 130 degrees in Death Valley #22  
How about 111* in Northern CA with heat index of 118.8* on June 29. It is supposed to be even hotter today.

Well, I said it was 98 here at the Ranch, at 6,200 feet. My poor wife is home in Phoenix where it was 119.

/ 130 degrees in Death Valley #23  
I think we have all gotten spoiled, (myself included!). But 100 or 110 is still just that. I still don't have an enclosed cab on the tractor. I don't think I could live without A/C in my car anymore though.

Ditto, I don't have a cab either, but I wouldn't drive a car without A/C!

/ 130 degrees in Death Valley #24  
Well, I said it was 98 here at the Ranch, at 6,200 feet. My poor wife is home in Phoenix where it was 119.

At least in the mountains your sweat evaporates really fast and keeps you cooler. I remember one job I did where I drank 2.5 gallons of home made electrolyte in one 10 hour day and didn't have to pee once.

Here's a recipe for home made electrolyte, which I have been using since long before Gatorade. It will keep you from getting water sick in hot weather.

1 gallon water
1/2 tsp salt (sodium chloride)
1/2 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Flavor to taste. I use powdered iced tea.

/ 130 degrees in Death Valley #25  
Since last nights storm it's cooled way down. From 114 to 110. But the almost rain raised the humidity & that does not help the old swamp box at all. It had been keeping the house in low to mid 70's, now up in the low 80's.

It's about the driest I have ever seen this part of the world. 1 Real rain in the last 2 years. In the city of Tucson things look a lot better, quite a bit more rain on the east side.

Funny thing was the Hop Toads, they thought it was going to rain. I watched several of them heading for places that make puddles.

/ 130 degrees in Death Valley #26  
At least in the mountains your sweat evaporates really fast and keeps you cooler. I remember one job I did where I drank 2.5 gallons of home made electrolyte in one 10 hour day and didn't have to pee once.

Here's a recipe for home made electrolyte, which I have been using since long before Gatorade. It will keep you from getting water sick in hot weather.

1 gallon water
1/2 tsp salt (sodium chloride)
1/2 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Flavor to taste. I use powdered iced tea.

Yes, I go through a lot of water up there. But occasionally I toss in a beer. I figure that's pretty good for electrolytes!

/ 130 degrees in Death Valley #27  
I lived in Colorado a year. I was amazed at how many people would say that, as well as those in Arizona too. 100* is 100*, no getting around it!

IDK, I know it definitely works the other direction when its cold. I would take a "dry cold" any day before the humid cold weather. I'm from CO too, but I'm warmer in CO in 10* weather with a decent coat than some of the humid 35* days we get in the NE sometimes. The chill cuts right through the jacket and to the bone.

/ 130 degrees in Death Valley #28  
I had a manager in Las Vegas that use to make the "dry heat" comment when it was well over 100 degrees......I use to tell him that sticking my head in an oven also provided a dry heat.... but I didn't like that either.

If your oven is only 100 degrees, you're having cold dinner tonight. :D With single digit humidity around here, anything under 105 is "comfortable"!

/ 130 degrees in Death Valley #29  
Hmmm...

Attachments

• 999043_10201506104360524_1229789096_n.jpg
    999043_10201506104360524_1229789096_n.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 65
   / 130 degrees in Death Valley #30  
Its been over 100 at my place for around 50 days. Sort of lost track after 45.
Several fake rains. Lots of wind & thunder, little if any water.
Did get a little rain this afternoon. Haven't checked the dust gauge yet. Maybe a 1/4"??

Mr Fuller, I personally would never think of a beer for hydration. If you believe that, I've got some ocean front property for sale, a little east of Tucson.