Running a full-size stove off of a 20-lb propane tank

/ Running a full-size stove off of a 20-lb propane tank #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
For a "camping" project I'm doing, I want to hook a full-size stove up to a 20-lb propane tank. I have already switched the stove's regulator from NG to LP. Some instructions on the Internet seem to indicate that I need a second regulator at the tank. Is this true, or can I rely exclusively on the stove's regulator?

/ Running a full-size stove off of a 20-lb propane tank #2  
For a "camping" project I'm doing, I want to hook a full-size stove up to a 20-lb propane tank. I have already switched the stove's regulator from NG to LP. Some instructions on the Internet seem to indicate that I need a second regulator at the tank. Is this true, or can I rely exclusively on the stove's regulator?

Also, some instructions i have seen say that the burners' orifice is different for propane and needs to be switched, while others say that only the regulator needs to be changed. Which is true?

Interesting project...I have been using gas grills for 30 years but never considered using propane to fuel a gas stove. Wish I could answer your queries but I cannot. Tell us, please: I need to know WHAT this project is all about....:laughing:

/ Running a full-size stove off of a 20-lb propane tank #3  
must change the orfices too

/ Running a full-size stove off of a 20-lb propane tank
Interesting project...I have been using gas grills for 30 years but never considered using propane to fuel a gas stove. Wish I could answer your queries but I cannot. Tell us, please: I need to know WHAT this project is all about....:laughing:

Pizza Theme Camp! | Alchemy Art Fundraiser

Since you asked... if anybody is interested in contributing to this "art project," your donations would be graciously accepted at the URL above.

PS: if you think about it, running a gas stove off propane isn't so unusual. People in rural areas do it all the time. It's just usually a much larger tank than 20 lbs.

must change the orfices too

That's consistent with the instructions I have. The instructions say that you can screw down a "hood" type thing in the oven and stovetop to do the conversion. Also say you have to change a setting on the thermostat.

Any input on the regulator? One at the tank and at the appliance, or is the appliance good enough?

Now that I've thought about it a little bit more, I reckon a regulator at the tank is probably required. The stove runs off of something like 11 inches of column, which is about 0.4 psi. The tank may be as high as 200 psi. That's a lot to ask of a single-stage regulator.

EDIT: Well, apparently not. A typical propane grill regulator puts out 11 inches of water column and is single-stage. This is pretty much the most bottom-of-the-barrel regulator you can get. So the only question then is whether you want to be carrying 200 psi in your line, and whether you want redundant regulators in the system.

I just went out to the barn and checked out the stove. It turns out that there are four replacement nipples for the top burners, in a little metal bracket, along with instructions for converting the stove to LP. The oven and broiler must have adjustable orifices or something, because there was no hardware in the bracket for them. But I think I should be good to go once I figure out the instructions.

I found the owner's manual online. Under the section for "converting to LP," it says, "Have a propane professional convert the stove. The instructions are on the back of the stove..." where I found them. NOT. HELPFUL. The instructions say, "switch the nipples on the stove-top burners." Ok. Got that. No problem. Then they say, "Switch the thermostat." Ok. Where is it? And where is the screw to turn to switch it? Same for the oven and broiler burner orifices.

Last edited: