Chevy S-10 a decent truck???

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
I need a small truck for hauling hay, composted sheep crap, and the occasional tractor implement (note the pertinence to TBN). It must be a 4x4. Not interested in a full-sized guzzler. Not impressed by the Frontier or the Ranger. Like the Dakota, but the dealer is a LOSER so Dodge is out. Was all set on a Toyota Tacoma with the V6, then noticed that Chevy is offering $4k in rebates on their trucks. Figured it was worth a drive and to my surprise the S-10 handled very well! I actually liked it! Especially since it costs $5k less than the Tacoma.

So before I run out and buy my first new American vehicle (remember I still have two 1957 Dodge trucks), is the Chevy S-10 LS 4x4 a truck of decent quality and reliability? Consumer Reports says no, but they didn't like our coffee either so pooey on them! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Pete

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #2  
If that's what you are hauling why not buy a used truck that you don't have to worry about getting beat around.

I always bought new cars and then I bought a nice Ranger for 3k and I may have put 1500 in repairs into it but I have had it for over 4 years.

It still looks fairly presentable but I have it in my mind that it's for hauling the wood and the plants and anything that needs hauling and I don't worry about it. And, I didn't even get upset when the kid got it stuck in the creek bottom. Of course that may be because I did the same thing a month before he did.

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #3  
I agree with Hoosier Daddy. If you are going to be hauling nasty stuff, why eat the depriciation on a new truck? A four year old truck will probably be half the price or less of a new one. And the insurance, plates and taxes will be less, too.

But if you have your heart set on a new one, and consumer reports lables it poor, that's probably why it costs less than the others, in my opinion, of course. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

My employer had several S10s a few years ago. They didn't seem to hold up very well. Neither did the little Fords. I don't think I would ever buy a little truck, based on the ones that I saw in fleet use. The full sized ones held up a long time and they seemed to get their money's worth. Good luck in your search.

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #4  
I had 92 Chevy S-10 2wd 2.8 V6 and put 127k miles on the truck. The only repair was the fan motor which cost about $37 to put in myself.

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #5  
I had a new S-10 in the mid 80's. It had a little V-6. I put over 125,000 miles on it and all it ever needed was a new radiator. Dave

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #6  
Pete,
I think the only truck that CR likes is the Tacoma. I have a Dakota Quad cab and like it except for low MPG which CR did point out.

Anyway last night I got the latest issue of CR and there was a sneak preview of some new cars. The S-10 is being replaced with a different model for next year. I can't remember the name. You may try to use this bit of info to get a better price. That's probably why they are offering the 4K rebate.

Phil

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #7  
Pete:

Have heard unsubstanciated rumors that the Dakota may like it's gas.

Chevy S10's have been around for quite a while. Chances are it will serve your purpose.

Egon

Egon

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #8  
I had a 1987 S10 Extended Cab 4 x 4 with the 2.8 liter V6 and a 5 speed. Great little truck. I had purchased this truck before we bought our horses and built the barn. It proved inadequate in bed size (short bed) and load carrying capacity for our equine-related chores. It was good it didn't have room to haul many bales, because the suspension could not have handled more.

The only problem I ever had with it was the engine fan. On the way home from buying it, I thought it sounded like it was a helicopter turbine spinning up. Took it right back. Fan and fan clutch were the subject of a recall. No problems after that until the day I traded it in on the full size we have now.

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #9  
I had 2 of them. I had a '91 w/ a 2.5 liter 5 spd 2wd drive. Not a lot of problems with it. Had a module go bad in the distributor that the dealer had a hard time diagnosing the problem. Took a little bit of time and a few aggravations. I also put a fan clutch in it. Had 72k on it when I traded it for a '93 4X4 w/ the 4.3 V6 and a 4sp auto. Replaced the heater core on it. Had 99k on it when I traded for my '97 full size. I did have over 3k in the bed of the '91 one time. Was hauling some ceramic tile. Amazing how fast that stuff adds up. Didn't pull a lot w/ either one, but did hook a 30' camper up to the '93 one time to move it. It moved it OK, but I wouldn't have wanted to take it out on the road.

Now granted these were the old body style so things could be different now, but generally I've still heard pretty good things about the S/10. It'll be interesting to see how the Colorado does.

/ Chevy S-10 a decent truck??? #10  
One of my brothers is still driving his '96 S10 with the 4 cylinder engine and manual transmission. He bought it originally so he could tow it behind his motorhome. If I remember right, it had about 80k miles on it when he replaced the clutch (his only complaint has been that it's a little anemic when pulling a pretty hefty 17' boat; reckon that had something to do with the clutch wearing out? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif). It probably has twice that many miles on it now.