REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST

/ REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST #22  
Strange that no MoH or VC etc... receipients have been mentioned, mostly actors who act tough?

Mind you, those who have been actually recognised for valour never seem to act tough, they simply are.

My Grandfather was awarded the Military Medal (bravery in the field) during WWII, so I'll nominate him. He always said that he received it for doing something that, if his wife knew it at the time, she'd've killed him! :laughing: (Lord, I miss him. Passed away over 40 years ago)

/ REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST #23  
Actor people far as I'm concerned ain't people whos names are worth remembering. I recall back to Jonnie Carson when he'd have one every night wiping snot off their nose talking about how hard their life was and how they spending time on some shrink's couch. Well no wonder crybaby, you get a paycheck for pretending to be what you think somebody else is, and you're confused & conflicted. Ya dang well ought to be!

You ain't going to recognize a really tough man when you meet him. He's got no need to tell you he's tough, and less need to prove it. I've known tough men, men who lost their family and everything they worked a lifetime for who just gutted up and went on, one foot in front of the other. Their heart may have been broken, but they **** well didn't run their mouth, and most wouldn't or couldn't accept any help.

My daddy was a tough man. He lost his arm clean to the shoulder when he was a young man, and he carried on, some said he was back on his feet the day after he got sewed up and walking back to the mill to tell his boss he was sorry for screwing up and hoping it wasn't going to cost much out of his pay to fix the machine that ate his arm. I can't think of a thing I do with 2 hands he couldn't do with one hand other than clap and he'd do that by slappin his leg with his hand.

Whole dang world today is candyazz and pretend. Who cares about somebody pretending?

/ REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST #24  
My old man- WWII Navy vet, discharged medically from San Diego at age 18 after being treated for TB (still a nearly always fatal disease in 1945). He survived because he volunteered for an experimental protocol that included having 1/2 of one lung removed and IV's of an experimental drug called streptomycin that caused him significant increased hearing loss in addition to that lost by firing cannons during Normandy invasion. After his d/c, he made his own way home by working and hitching. Never told his family about being sick until he made it home and had to explain scars and need for repeated chest x-rays.

I saw him come home from work with injuries like a crushed hand, and several times with burns across the back of them from 600 F molten plastic, and he would just go back to work the next day like he wasn't hurting. He was the first plastic injection molding operator at Eastman Kodak in 1966, and became the best setup man and trouble shooter they had in Rochester, NY.

I know because I worked there for 3 summers while going to college, and heard him talked about when people did not know who I was. He wanted to transfer to their Co Springs plant, but his bosses wouldn't okay the transfer because of not wanting to have to try to replace him.

Also Charles Bronson, real tough guy and actor- His father died when he was 10 years old, so he went work in the coal mines until WWII, when he enlisted and won a Purple Heart when he was injured acting as an aerial gunner on a SuperFortress in the Army Air Service.

He played the claustrophobic "Tunnel King" in "The Great Escape", but few people realized how true his claustrophobia was, dating back to his mine work, yet he went through repeated takes in claustrophobic sets without complaint.

Thomas

/ REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST #25  
Real tough guys don't advertise their toughness...

James Stewart and other well known actors volunteered for WW II as ordinary soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines. Many never advertised their wartime exploits...just did their jobs and came home.

/ REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST #26  
Do you think the actors of today would volunteer for armed services? NO.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST #27  
Gordie Howe
George Foreman

I agree with the Gordie Howe comment. I remember watching the NHL back in the early sixties (6 teams). Those guys played without helmets or face masks, including goal tenders. Now that's tough. Howe had a long career with the Detroit Red Wings and then continued to play and coach minor leagues for another couple of decades, as I recall.

/ REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST #28  
muhammad ali
jackie chan

/ REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST

I've always read Seagal isn't as tough as he pretends to be but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Never heard that about Seagal but have heard that Jean Claude Van Damme isn't the bad arse they make him out too be, but like you say wound'nt want to find out the hard way either.

Boone

/ REAL LIFE TOUGH-GUYS LIST #30  
U.S. Marines
U.S. Army Special Forces
U.S. Navy seals