Pellet Stove review?

/ Pellet Stove review? #2  
I have had the New England pellet stove from lowes for 4 or 5 years - love it. I didn't fill the 500 glalon propane tank for 3 years, got rid of it and went to a 100 gallon which get filled once per year. I went from 1500.00 per year in heating to 500 or 600.00.
They are a little bit of a pain to keep clean and you have to chip the carbon build up off, as far as I am concerned they work great.

/ Pellet Stove review? #3  
I don't have any experience with that stove in particular, but we have had a Harman XXV pellet stove for 5 years and love it!

/ Pellet Stove review? #4  
I have read many reviews on pellet stoves and most if not all jam /do not hold a full bag of pellets /have no thermostat /are loud /must be cleaned almost daily /frequently need repairs / require outside air source /expensive at $1,000.00 /require many bags of store bought pellets to run for a whole season which have to be stored inside and completely dry ! Whats wrong with a good old wood stove ? basically free to run if you have property and trees /no need to run to the store for pellets /store your wood outside /only have to clean them weekly / no need for outside air source /and you get the benefit of exercise / no need for 3 wall piping/ $269.00 for a pallet of pellets and you will burn 3-4 pallets a season ? Thats a lot of fire wood ! I personally don't see why anyone would buy one .? Also if the power goes out so does your stove when you would need it the most !

/ Pellet Stove review? #5  
I read a lot of reviews before buying our stove, and the consensus was, if you are going to buy one, spend a little extra and buy a good one. We went with a Harman for around $2500. A good wood stove (we wanted one that looks nice) would have cost within $1k of that. To answer some of your questions, Grumpy:

1. Jamming - ours almost never jams. We had some pellets (Ozark Hardwood Products) that were 2-3" long, and they would cause the stove to jam. Once we quit using them, we have not had a jam since.
2. Our will hold 60 lbs of pellets, or a bag and a half. That will last almost 2 full days.
3. Thermostat - ours has a thermostat and will hold our basement (that's where we have ours) within a half degree of what we set the thermostat at. Try that with a wood stove! I keep ours set at about 73, and it heats almost our whole house. Though our pellet stove is not for our main heat source, it was still cold in the basement since the house was not initially set up for heating the basement well. The pellet stove cured that.
4. Ours has not needed any repairs outside of an igniter that is out. I just use the gel instead of replacing the igniter.
5. Outside air source - you don't HAVE to have an outside air source, but the stove works better that way. Besides, you have to go somewhere with the exhaust, may as well bring in some fresh air while you are at it.
6. I usually burn about 1.5-2 tons (pallets) of pellets each year. It's usually $175-$190/ton for pellets. We keep our house warmer, but spend less money than when we had only propane heat.
7. Storage - I have a garage right next to my pellet stove in the basement, so it is very convenient.
8. Cleaning - cleaning is simple. Twice a week, I take a scraper and scrape the firebox while the fire is burning. This takes about 15-20 seconds. Once every other week, I shut the stove down, scrape the firebox well, clean the heat exchanger tubes, clean the glass, and fire the stove back up. This takes about 10 minutes of my time. Then, twice a year, I have to dump the ash pan. Yes, twice a year, not weekly like a wood stove. I usually shut the stove down and give it a good, thorough cleaning when I do this. It takes about 30 minutes.

Now, as far as a wood stove, we looked into one. However, we were going to have to add a flu, which would have cost more than the entire pellet stove, intake, exhaust and interior "niceties" I put in to make it look nice around our stove.

Wood is messy. Plain and simple, it's messy, it's dusty, and yes, it's a lot of work. Plus, 3 of the 5 of us in our house have allergies and sinus issues, and the dryness of the air plus the dust from the wood stove is absolutely horrible for that. Prior to last October when we bought some land, I didn't have any place to cut wood. So, I either would have had to purchase it, or find someone to allow me to cut wood on their land. Like it or not, there are a lot of costs associated with cutting wood, from chainsaws, chains, gas, fuel to get the wood home, etc. Honestly, it would have probably cost me more than the $350-$400 that I currently spend on pellets for wood.

We had wood heat when I was a kid, and I loved the warmth. I wanted wood heat now, but with all the drawbacks I mentioned above, it was not really an option for us. So, we have a pellet stove that gives us the warmth of wood heat without all of the hassles and drawbacks of wood.

Hopefully this sheds some light and helps out.

/ Pellet Stove review? #6  
I have a multi-fuel pellet stove its not that model or brand but they all pretty much work the same some just cost a heck of a lot more. When they first came out pellets and corn were pretty cheap.

Like most things it turned out it was too good to be true we would actually save any money using one. Pellets were about $230 a ton on a pre-order at the farm store recently and that's not a bad price. I still have a couple tons from years ago I haven't used. I usually go thru 3 a winter when we do end up using it. I also found out buying next years pellets at the end of heating season a person can get some good deals long as they can store a few tons out of the weather.

Now with that said I have an alternate heat source when I feel like using it for whatever reason and now and then we do. Our winters here have been mild so haven't fired it up for probably 3 years now. I also have a 48 bushel grain bin on wheels to buy corn in bulk but its still pretty high priced even to buy right out of the field. We really like the ambiance of it though and its a nice warm spot to back up to and it sure keeps the floor warm for those late nite trips to the bathroom. :) And the cats are usually curled up in a chair nearby.

/ Pellet Stove review? #7  
Well to each his own , but not everyone has a garage next to their basement to store 2 pallets of pellets or $2500.00 to spend on a stove ,And you just can't beat the fact of it requires electricity to work and the first time you have to wait for the power to come back on a wood stove /fireplace is the winner !,Some people like to cut wood and I myself would rather be outside working than wasting time watching sports. But I also don't have the worries of allergies and I consider multiple chainsaws in my shop a requirement . No electricity no heat !

/ Pellet Stove review? #8  
Most pellet stoves are ok and convenient until you cant find a pellet tree

/ Pellet Stove review? #10  
Most folks I know that live out of town have generators and heat is the least of my worries when the power goes out I am more concerned about water fwtw. A gas stove and fireplace if you have one will heat the house enough you wont freeze to death. These stoves use less than 300w of power so a simple battery powered inverter will run one just fine for as long as a person needs heat and a solar panel for those so electrically inclined can be put on to keep it charged, its all about how much effort one wants to expend.. my .002