Anyone have "yard art"?

/ Anyone have "yard art"? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Got any pictures of your yard art?

That would mean items in the yard that are decorations but of little practical value and generally redneck in nature. The best example might be the car tire turned inside out with a sawtooth edge and made into a planter. There are the plywood "fat fannies" of a old woman bending over in the garden or maybe butterflies on the side of the house. There's the shiny, reflective "orb" in a birdbath or old tractors or implements. Maybe a garden tractor mailbox. There's some great "yard art" around.

Our current things are pretty tame but we're older and I've calmed down. Here's some stones I found that will have to make do. The big rock sitting on top of the others is about 2200 lbs. Serves no purpose other than just sitting there. Wife likes it.

002.JPG

Being practical, you can actually sit on this flat rock by the house should you want to sit on a flat rock by the house. This puppy is pretty heavy and I'm thinking 2800 lbs.

005.JPG

Of course we have the obligatory orb and birdbath.

004.JPG

Got any yard art?

/ Anyone have "yard art"? #2  
Nice rocks! :thumbsup:
All I have is an '85 chevy pickup out back waiting to get its drive train removed.... for the last 15 years.

/ Anyone have "yard art"? #3  
Couple of the hand made items I have done

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_0896.jpg
    100_0896.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_1025.jpg
    100_1025.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 117
   / Anyone have "yard art"?
Nice rocks! :thumbsup:
All I have is an '85 chevy pickup out back waiting to get its drive train removed.... for the last 15 years.

Good, trucks are good.

Couple of the hand made items I have done

Very impressive workmanship. How do you make a birdbath like that? is it formed concrete?

/ Anyone have "yard art"? #5  
No, it is a mixture of Portland cement, peat-moss, perlite, sand, vermiculite, and fibers.

You have to pack it one hand full at a time. The one on the cedar log was made by mounding sand, covering the sand with plastic, molding the mixture, covering in plastic to cure.

The one with the column was made by packing a stove pipe. So was the tiki, then hand carved.

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_1029.jpg
    100_1029.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 113
   / Anyone have "yard art"? #6  
No, it is a mixture of Portland cement, peat-moss, perlite, sand, vermiculite, and fibers.

You have to pack it one hand full at a time. The one on the cedar log was made by mounding sand, covering the sand with plastic, molding the mixture, covering in plastic to cure.

The one with the column was made by packing a stove pipe. So was the tiki, then hand carved.
That looks like fun. Can you post a link to the recipe?

/ Anyone have "yard art"? #7  
Moss,

Here is an old thread I started http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/183092-started-making-planters-wife.html

Basically it is a 1 to 3 ratio. The 1 part must be portland cement not mortar. It is called hypertufa and there a loads of info on line. It takes a couple of weeks to cure, must be done slow.

I have made about 400 different pieces, usually do it in the winter since it gets dark early, I can do it in the basement. I actually sold $1000.00+ this year wholesale.

If you really want to give it a try I can give you more info...I have perfected my recipe.

David

/ Anyone have "yard art"? #9  
[

Yes sir, that is art...Cool:thumbsup:

/ Anyone have "yard art"? #10  
Here is mine. Needless to say, I didn't make it myself, but thought it "fitting". :D