Anyone use Windows 8?

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I've read a little about Windows 8, but can't get past the technical jargon. Can someone explain how it is different from windows 7? I read where it is a touch-screen system like they have on telephones and laptops? Pardon my ignorance, I don't have a phone, can't even answer my wife's without screwing things up. Thanks in advance;

Dennis. P.S. Windows isn't a free download, is it? You have to pay for it as an upgrade?

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #2  
Windows 8 is NOT free. Most new computers will come with it pre-installed.

Windows 8 incorporates a new user interface called the "Metro" desktop. Your applications are represent on this interface as individual icons, instead of the familiar taskbar/programs option. The system is designed for touchscreen but works on computers that are not. A load of folks are unhappy with some of the interface changes and Micro$oft is soon to release the 8.1 update to restore some of the older function.

My biggest gripe about Windows 8 is it tends to jump back and forth between the new Metro interface and the traditional desktop. Apps must be written for the Metro environment, otherwise, when you select them the systems throws you back into the older environment. You get used to it - but it can be irritating.

You can click an icon to go to the older desktop and pretty much stay there but, as I mentioned, you'll find an absence of some of the taskbar options you now enjoy. The upcoming update will probably be a nice development.

After all of that ... I've gotten used to Windows 8 and can get around in it just fine. It has its good and bad sides but it performs well. If you will recall, they had some major nightmare releases, i.e. "Windoze ME" and "Vista" that were enough to get people to hang themselves.

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #3  
The last good Windows OS was XP...
I loaded a beta of Windows 8 on a laptop...did not like the interface at all!

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #4  
Egbert is pretty much right on spot. Although, I must say I prefer win xp or win 7 over win 8, at least for a desktop or non-touch screen device. For someone new to computers, it is probably easy to use than win xp or win 7.

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #5  
The last good Windows OS was XP...
I loaded a beta of Windows 8 on a laptop...did not like the interface at all!
I'll have to disagree with you. Windows 7 is much better than XP.
Will be trying Windows 8.1 (for for free) in a VM at home to see how I like it. My laptop is due fore a refresh and I may switch to 8.1 if I can stand Metro as 8 is supposed to be faster than 7.

Aaron Z

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #6  
I don't know how old, or the capacities, of your current system. However, as always, Windows needs room to play - even moreso with each new release.

I would not recommend Win 8 on less than an Intel i5 processor, or equivalent, and no less than 6 GB ram. A system can NEVER be too fast but it can quite easily be too slow. Touch-screen capability is not required but I would encourage you to move that direction as this is where everything is headed.

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #7  
we bought a new laptop recently with win 8, and i'm not a fan so far. i don't use it like SO does,
but it's confusing going between modes to get to the app she wants to use.
and the computer is not touch screen, so , the touchpad scroll is backwards!
rolls up when i motion to move down, ok if your used to it i guess.

i'll be interested to see an update that allows more familiarity with win7 mode.

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #8  
when i first used widows 8 i hated it whole new ballgame,it was struggle to do anything.then i downloaded Firefox and customized windows 8 to look like window 7.Firefox has a lot of add ons.i love it now it is very fast.

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #9  
I don't now nor will I ever like Windows 8, I preferred XP or 7. I am not new to computers, first one was an Apple IIc, I just don't like it. Now I HATED ME and Vista.

/ Anyone use Windows 8? #10  
We bought a new computer recently. We went with a system that still have Windows 7. I had not spoken with anyone that recommended Windose 8.