Moving to the Farm

/ Moving to the Farm
I am leaning towards only the necessity like well pump, fridge, freezer, and some lights. We have all led lights so those won't take much and I plan on installing a wood stove so hear in the winter shouldn't be an issue. Maybe the heat tape for the water into the house. The water heater is a gas fired on demand so it shouldn't take too much.

/ Moving to the Farm #382  
That sounds like a easy load to supply.

Our generator is a 6500 watt Honda model. It is 15 years old and has never had any issues except it doesn't like to get rained on. The engine starts missing when it gets too wet. Probably something in the ignition. I'm sure 6500 watts would meet your needs listed and more. Were you thinking of a automatic transfer set-up, or a manual set-up?

Honda's are expensive. The Honda engine combined with some other generator head is something I see more of lately. Northern Tool has a model like that now. It's hard to beat a Honda engine whether it's a log splitter or a generator. :) I don't have any knowledge of the quality on the electrical side of those mixed units. There are some lengthy threads about various generators on TBN that I'm sure you could find with a Google search.

/ Moving to the Farm
Thanks, that was my thought as well. The unit at Costco is a mixed unit so with the honda engine and Costco's return policy I am not sure how I could go wrong. The only other unit I was thinking about would be a generac unit.

I was planning a manual transfer. I don't think getting that set up should be too terribly expensive.

Thanks.

/ Moving to the Farm #384  
I bought a Generac 7500e last winter. It's nice. Haven't run it much. We had a forecast for another ice storm. The last one it was just me and wife and we could manage. This one we had an infant so didn't chance it. It missed us so never put many hours on it. I got the 7500 because I wanted to be able to run a circular saw and air compressor on the farm. It was more than needed for the house. But a circular saw just drains a 5500. Bought the e series (electric start) because that's what our TSC had in stock in this size. Paid $999.95 I think.

I like the Hondas but if they ever have problems they aren't easily fixed. And once they start having problems they seam to snow ball. Of your two suggestions I would pick the Generac again over the honda hybrid. Just my .02.

Have you looked for at a pto generator? Just a thought.

/ Moving to the Farm
I bought a Generac 7500e last winter. It's nice. Haven't run it much. We had a forecast for another ice storm. The last one it was just me and wife and we could manage. This one we had an infant so didn't chance it. It missed us so never put many hours on it. I got the 7500 because I wanted to be able to run a circular saw and air compressor on the farm. It was more than needed for the house. But a circular saw just drains a 5500. Bought the e series (electric start) because that's what our TSC had in stock in this size. Paid $999.95 I think. I like the Hondas but if they ever have problems they aren't easily fixed. And once they start having problems they seam to snow ball. Of your two suggestions I would pick the Generac again over the honda hybrid. Just my .02. Have you looked for at a pto generator? Just a thought.

I haven't looked at the pto generators. I would prefer to keep them separate. Thanks.

/ Moving to the Farm
That was why I went this route. Just thought I would mention it.

I appreciate it. Good to know about the Hondas, I hadn't heard that. In general how do you like your generac?

/ Moving to the Farm #388  
I appreciate it. Good to know about the Hondas, I hadn't heard that. In general how do you like your generac?

I like it. I haven't run it much. Getting ready to start work on a storage building and will use it to build it. It's large enough to start my big air compressor it's a 2hp motor on 120 and dual voltage. If I would switch it to 240 it would do a lot better. Half the amps and pull off both sides.

After using one this size if I wanted to be able to go build with it and run drills and saws I wouldn't go any smaller. I think you mentioned a larger one. But you can get so big you loose portability. So think about it's main 3 uses.

The only down side is it comes with a dumb charger for the battery. You have to make sure you charge the battery and the generator doesn't put any charge into it. If left for more than 24 hours it says it will over charge battery. But it does have a pull rope backup.

I mean other than that it's a generator. It's loud. It's heavy. And it makes power.

What I said about the Honda was on the motors. Have seen some of the motors on mowers have issues. The ones with issues seamed to spend as much time in the shop as running. It would be a switch today a wire tomorrow then a sensor or another switch or different wire. Then the carb would plug because it won't run long enough to keep clean gas in it. And they aren't user serviceable they need to go to a dealer.

/ Moving to the Farm

Attachments

• image-2481257063.jpg
    image-2481257063.jpg
    800.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3305902989.jpg
    image-3305902989.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2909487802.jpg
    image-2909487802.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 76
   / Moving to the Farm
Hay bales and dirt moving. The guy who bales my hay came today and left me 16 bales of hay. I was able to get it under tarp before it started raining. I also was able to spread some dirt.

Attachments

• image-1507805838.jpg
    image-1507805838.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image-286388440.jpg
    image-286388440.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 84
  • image-865909759.jpg
    image-865909759.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image-4263466615.jpg
    image-4263466615.jpg