Moving to the Farm

/ Moving to the Farm #1  

Tororider

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4310
Well I have convinced the wife and we are leaving our nice house in a subdivision in the suburbs for a piece of property in the country. We will be land contracting 18.6 acres from my parents and living in a mobile home for a few years while we save some money to build. We are in the process of getting the cement pad for the mobile home and the septic field put in. Natural gas, water, and electric is already at the barn so will just need to be connected to the house. I will post some pictures as we move forward, but I am excited that we are able to move towards my dream. As Obed and others have done on here I hope to share an learn through this experience.

First question: should we need to drill holes for piers to set the mobile home on if we are planning on putting in a full cement slab? I plan to call the building department for the county tomorrow, but was wondering what thoughts were on it.

Thanks

/ Moving to the Farm #2  
Congrats on the move. There is nothing better than country living. Not sure about the codes, but I'm guessing that down here the slab would be fine if it's thick enough. As long as you could do the tie-downs, you would be alright. {But I live in the sticks, and we don't have much code enforcement}

I'm looking forward to pictures on this thread. We all love the projects/house threads.

/ Moving to the Farm #3  
once slab is poured then you need cement blocks stacked up to place mobile home on,every 10 feet stack a few blocks and jack up trailer and shim up to level.

/ Moving to the Farm #4  
What county are you moving to? Codes vary by county and sometimes by township. Some places are very wary of owner / builders that live on the property. And financing from a land contract can be iffy.

/ Moving to the Farm #5  
Some places are very wary of owner / builders that live on the property. And financing from a land contract can be iffy.

I was wondering if you were going to own the land before you started building. There is nothing like a deed for security.

/ Moving to the Farm #6  
It is always good to move toward our dream. Me , it all started 9 years ago when my adress and permanent base was move back to my roots ( i wasn t tere more than 5 weeks a uear for the 5 yets following this, but knowong it was home again was enougj... For a while... Builded the house 4 yets ago, exterior is finish, but we are still living in the basement, finishing the upper level. Been buying chunck of land slowly aroud the property, but sofar none of it is farm land, hopefully, thats the next step... But I need to convience the wife to hold on her nice huge kitchen so I can buy some good land. But everything around here is veing farm as good potato land, and it s around 1000$ / acres.... So will see.... Looking for some deal....

As for your trailer, As mentionned above, with a good thick floatin slab design, you should be allright and no need to have pier.

/ Moving to the Farm #7  
Well wishes. Always alot of drawbacks but take them in stride as you move towards your goal.

/ Moving to the Farm #8  
How cold will it get? Do you have any photos of the mobile home ?

/ Moving to the Farm #9  
Glad to hear you are going to live your dream, that is when most people are happier when they go after and live their dream. I too have bought my land and am slowly building my bare 40 acres into a farm. I retire in two years then I will move from the city of Chicago to the country in Iowa. I have even created a blog about it to journal my progress. You might think about doing the same. Keep us all up to date on your progress.

Good luck

/ Moving to the Farm #10  
Congratulations!!!

I did the same thing in 2005 after many years of dreaming about it. Now I could never imagine living close to anybody and every time I go to town, I can't wait to get back out here.

Eddie