Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :-

/ Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #1  

PhysAssist

Elite Member
Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it..
Tractor
Kubota B2320
Some of you may remember that for approximately the past 16 weeks, I have been out of work because my left knee replacement became infected just before my birthday this year.

The treatment was my ortho surgeon taking it out on my birthday, and leaving me with an antibiotic spacer and strict instructions to use crutches and use only toe-touching with my left foot to avoid unnecessary wear to the antibiotic spacer and possibly fracturing (breaking) one of the bones. I also received 8 weeks of IV antiobiotics at home through a PICC.

Well, this past Wednesday, on the anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy, I went back in and got a new knee! I did very well post-operatively and came home yesterday (Friday the 13th!!)despite ending up with 2 surgical complications:

1) While the doctor was drilling through my lower femur, (which was and is crooked because of having had bone cancer treated at age 19 y/o, with surgical removal, bone grafting, and then complicated by a fracture at the site), he inadvertently went out through the side of the lower femur causing a fracture.

and 2) Once he was able to get the drill bit (way) up the femoral canal, it came unattached from the drill extension and ended up stuck there just below my knee joint.

He says that for the perforation I have to stay on limited weight-bearing for six weeks until the bone has fully recovered and healed in order to reduce the risk of fracture.

He also says that the retained drill bit would only pose a problem for me if some day I fracture my hip, or need a hip replacement because of wearing out the joint.

The whole situation is ironic because my original ortho MD (who saved my leg and life in 1979) referred me to my current ortho for a laser alignment knee replacement BECAUSE of the deformed and closed off femur canal.

What can I do but keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep my sense of humor given the situation...

Thanks for reading,
Thomas

Unlabelled Extra piece.jpgView attachment 336926Unlabelled AP Knee.jpgUnlabelled Lateral with Bit.jpg

Last edited:
   / Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #2  
I guess not much you can do but keep your spirits up. Wishing you a good, solid recovery.

/ Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #3  
Best Wishes..

/ Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #4  
Try Traumeel from Heel Corp. It does amazing job of topical analgesic pain relief. Gel or cream. Much better than Advil, Tylenol 3, etc. I gave a tube to one of my daughter's teachers after she had broken her leg in a couple of places playing indoor soccer. She had her foot stop in the Astroturf like surface when she got hit from two sides and her leg got multiple fractures. She had tried everything with no real relief. After trying the Traumeel she said it was just like I described- the pain just disappeared- she couldn't believe it.
I'm glad it helped her recovery, as I know it will yours.
Good luck- keep your spirits up.

/ Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #5  
I wish you a complete recovery. I have a question. Would another surgery to retrieve the drill bit cause more problems? Have you considered the possibility that the Surgeon made the statement regarding the drill bit, to be only an excuse to cover up his own incompetence?

/ Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #6  
Dang! Thomas, you must make the metal detectors go into a tizzy when you walk through. You've got more hardware in you than an Ace Hardware Store.:confused2: I'm always amazed at x-rays of bone or joint replacements. The hardware looks so big and out of place. Here's hoping your recovery is quick, uneventful, and complete.:thumbsup:

/ Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #7  
Wow! That is a lot to go thru in a short time span. Fingers crossed that your recovery goes smoothly from here!

/ Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #8  
Thomas keep on "FIGHTING", Ya got the rite attitude ! Wishing You and Your Family the " BEST" !!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Boone

/ Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #9  
Good luck on the recovery. Many years ago, a dentist broke a carbide file off in a tooth, while doing a root canal / crown. It's still there, shows up on x rays as a spriral thingy. I hope I have your sense of humor this week, I am getting my ankle worked on this week.

/ Sometimes there is nothing you can do but laugh and keep moving forward..... :- #10  
You sure have had a go of it and I wish you well.