rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina

/ rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina #1  

timbatrader

Silver Member
Tractor
YCT306S-S bulldozer Leyland 344 tractor, Mountain Raise MR926S wheel Loader, Hitachi 19U mini Excavator
I am in the process of getting a new kitchen designed It is going to be made from oiled Thermowood thermally modified pine (www.tunnicliffes.co.nz) a very stable timber with a rich dark chocolate color. The designer is keen to incorporate something he saw in a kitchen show he visited in Europe recently Timber framed doors with rusty steel panel inserts. The panels would have a clear lacquer sprayed over to seal them. I am warming to the idea but I am wondering what would be the best way to get some sort of streaky, mottled, or wood grain type of patina to the rust before spraying on the clear sealer any ideas gratefully accepted

/ rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina #3  
Try treating the metal with vinegar or even lemon juice. The acid should leave you with a nice patina and can be applied over and over for more effect. Try it on a scrap piece first to see what you think.

/ rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina #4  
I doubt that spraying with lacquer will stop the rust. It'll seal it for a while, but eventually it'll break through. Rust self catalyzes itself or seals oxygen in that later attacks more steel. The only way to neutralize it is to cover it with a material that reacts with iron oxide (rust) to form iron sulfide. Rustoleum Rust Reform is one. Trustan7 (if still made) is another. I've seen others of this type material (been out for 20 years or more) on TV. Otherwise, you'll end up with some rusty metal down the line that'll be breaking out with more rust.

Treating it turns it black where there is iron oxide because iron sulfide is black. Where there's bare metal, it'll stay that way.

/ rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina #5  
Last edited:
   / rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina
Thanks for the input It sounds like a problem I hadn’t counted on is sealing the look once I have it . I do want the rusty red color not the black color of rust treated with phosphoric acid does anyone have ideas on how to preserve that look without changing the color

/ rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina #7  
Have friends that did metal sculpture for years. That is what they did...

They would clearcoat over too, but not often; most stuff was made for outdoors.

Where's that wroughtnharv? He'd have the answer?

Try treating the metal with vinegar or even lemon juice. The acid should leave you with a nice patina and can be applied over and over for more effect. Try it on a scrap piece first to see what you think.

/ rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina #8  
There are coatings that can be sprayed on that LOOK like rust without the metal actually rusting. There are also Power Coating wrinkle finishes that can replicate it as well.

Any thing sprayed OVER rust will only last a while then the rust will re-rust and paint/clear will likely crack/flake & well look shabby...

Mark

/ rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina #9  
To "get the look"

Try acid rusting (your choice of poison) but put the work in a plastic bag, or cover a large panel with plastic sheeting after splashing on the "rust inducer".

I bet you have seen the effect. Let the panel "mellow" for a day with the plastic removed from contact, if less destinction is desired.

Enjoy!

However, this may not be the effect you are seeking....such is art!

/ rusty steel for new designer kitchen doors how do I get the right rust patina #10  
We have had many request from customers looking for a patina look from powder. We have not been able to find a powder that will give that look. We do use some hammer tones that do give a rustic look, but not really a patina.

We have been planning on trying some custom work using a zinc pretreatment product that does cause a nice patina then clearing over that.

Spiker, If you know of a powder, I would like to try it.

There are coatings that can be sprayed on that LOOK like rust without the metal actually rusting. There are also Power Coating wrinkle finishes that can replicate it as well.

Any thing sprayed OVER rust will only last a while then the rust will re-rust and paint/clear will likely crack/flake & well look shabby...

Mark