How much work is a pond?

/ How much work is a pond?
ok, no water bottling projects...thanks for the input.
I'm not sure I'm going to do the pool, lot of maintenance and I think I'd rather have a hot tub and a pond full of frogs. Riptides, thanks, I'll read that thread now.

/ How much work is a pond? #12  
My House came with a 1 acre Spring fed Pond that's our Water Source for the House. I do trap the Muskrats and spray the Algae. I also use wind driven aeration.

/ How much work is a pond? #13  
I grew up with a man made pond, no maintenance to speak of, though we ran a pipe yearly up a brook to create flow and keep it full. For swimming flow is important. Once every 20+ years we lowered the level and removed silt to keep the swimming area sandy.

I now have a pond and pool. Pools are expensive and some work (30 mins per week), but far better than the pond for swimming.

/ How much work is a pond? #14  
I have a pond. Here in Texas, we call them stock tanks. If we are not in a 7 year drought, I swim in mine. I don't drink the water, and don't usually dive off of the dock either.

With our drought conditions, mine is barely a mud hole, right now. Maybe rains will arrive this weekend, and add some water to it.

There are a couple of good threads on building tanks/ponds. Let me know if you need a link.

/ How much work is a pond? #15  
Now our minds are running wild.

/ How much work is a pond? #18  
We have six small ponds, with the water flowing from our artesian well into the first one, then on to the others. Since they are near the woods, we do have to rake leaves and pinestraw every five or so years. We drop the level in the ponds one at a time, and pull the muck out with a landscape rake and boxblade. But other than mowing, that is about it.

And if you buy a natural pond, there is even less work. But you always run the risk of it drying up, or flooding. My 5 acre pond has done both. It has started holding a little water just this summer {when it rained everyday for about two months} after being dry for five years. But thirty years ago when I got out of the Navy, I lived in the little house behind the pond. The water got so high, I had to cut a new road through the woods to get in and out.

/ How much work is a pond?
Brandi, thanks for the info. Boy are you talented, not sure I could do that, zero seat time on excavation equipment, but ready to try. Did you ever get the cedar tree planted on the island?
Perhaps you could just put a wind sock on it...:)