Got a new Place in Temecula, CA,

/ Got a new Place in Temecula, CA, #1  

Scrambler82

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 28XL, HST, TLB
The new house in SoCal, sitting on 10.5 aches: rock and weeds but it will come around and be home.

IMG_0046_zps14d4f658.jpg

The view from the front door, soon to be a Farmers porch all the way around.:

IMG_0032_zps42e89f38.jpg

The side view toward backyard, the closest neighbor and that is only their out building:

IMG_0039_zps06001b31.jpg

The other side yard: this should lend itself to one of two things, either a Solar Field of Panels or a great small Grape Vineyard.

IMG_0040_zps3853fd05.jpg

Back Yard, will be opened up a little more, full outdoor kitchen going in:

IMG_0041_zpse0591119.jpg

Outdoor kitchen I want, will wait and see, the shop first:

outdoorkitchenCeilingtimber-frame_zps1aca7b8e.jpg

The new shop, at least a stick drawing, this is all they would give me until I make the deposit.
Armstrong Steel Building, any comments please, maybe I need to start a thread on Armstrong Buildings...

32 wide, 36 deep, side bay is 10 x 36 with a shed roof.

ArmstrongBuilding-Temecula_zps8fa01003.jpg

There you have it, what the Wife and I WILL be moving to.
I am finishing up here in MA, doing some of the stuff to the house that did not get done over the last 34 years, almost done.
Will not be long and I will be a California Dude lol !

I put in a new shed, 12 x 10 and an additional of 12 x 16, big shed, and now will be moving, wasted my time and money but hope if will help with the sale.

Did some power washing, new to me - never did it before, wow is all I can say. I think that will be a tool I will buy for the new house.

/ Got a new Place in Temecula, CA, #2  
Wow All I wanted is a new Gas Grill and got the Evil Eye.

/ Got a new Place in Temecula, CA, #3  
Wow! What a huge change in environment from Boston to the arid sands of CA. Your new location is beautiful and probably low maintenance if you don't want a green yard. Just remember to keep your eyes open and look where you are stepping. That new house looks like rattler territory. The house has all kinds of possibilities. The front entrance looks like it was custom made to add a porch and dress up the entrance. You'll have no trouble adding porches and decks or pavers for your outdoor kitchen. Your friend will always be a dust cloth, though.;) Is this a retirement home or the result of a new job?

/ Got a new Place in Temecula, CA,
Wow All I wanted is a new Gas Grill and got the Evil Eye.

The Wife is in on the Out Door Kitchen… this way she doesn’t have to cook.
Also she has a free hand on the inside stuff, completed redo on the insides.

Wow! What a huge change in environment from Boston to the arid sands of CA. Your new location is beautiful and probably low maintenance if you don't want a green yard. Just remember to keep your eyes open and look where you are stepping. That new house looks like rattler territory. The house has all kinds of possibilities. The front entrance looks like it was custom made to add a porch and dress up the entrance. You'll have no trouble adding porches and decks or pavers for your outdoor kitchen. Your friend will always be a dust cloth, though.;) Is this a retirement home or the result of a new job?

Thanks for the thoughts, any ideas on evading the Rattle Snakes ?
Greenery will be held to a minimum so we are hoping for a low maintenance setup, will see what changes when we get there.

Big change for sure, we intended to move to a warmer climate but was waiting for the right time and place.
Daughter got married and lives in Temecula, we visited, liked the area and found this large Cape (2500 sq ft), full foundation although not very deep, loved the front view and decided this is where I wanted to retire, so we bought it.

The house was a foreclosure, too bad for the first owners, I do feel bad but we got a fantastic deal. The original owners took the Heater, the A/C Unit, the Hot Water Heater and some of the duck work; they also decided one of the bed rooms needed to have a hole in the ceiling, WHY, WHY…
In Cali as some may know you can’t finance a house that is not livable, so we won out; took a while with Fanny Mae, low balled them and we got there.

Anyway thank for the info, anything else please post or e-mail: nnf000@gmail.com.

ltr

/ Got a new Place in Temecula, CA, #5  
Snakes & dust.... two of my favorites. The California dream isn't for everyone but a nice place to visit. A lot of controversy over taxes, state finances, and living costs. I would have to live in a new area at least a year before buying property. Sometimes perception and reality are really two distinct items. I lived in California for a while. Loved the climate, too many people. If I were to move west it would be to Idaho. Spent some time there with friends and found it quite nice.
Good luck with your new surroundings. I couldn't take the " natural look " without fields and hills of grass. There is just something about having a nice fleet of tractors, lawn equipment, sitting under oak and apple trees with your favorite dog watching nature go about her business. A bunch of " old Corvettes " isn't a bad hobby either.

/ Got a new Place in Temecula, CA, #6  
That will be a change for sure. You can throw away your snow shovels I guess. :)

The destruction in foreclosures I think is just people "getting even" with the world sometimes. Of course, anything they could get money for is understandable but still sad and theft in a way, since it isn't theirs to sell.

Looks like a nice home.

/ Got a new Place in Temecula, CA, #7  
Welcome to Kalifornia! I am just south of you about 45 minutes down the I-15. I was just up there a week ago on a Homes for Our Troops irrigation project.

There will be some rattlers, but learn to distinguish them from your friends, the gopher snakes. You are in gopher country and you will have ground squirrels (California ground squirrels, much different than your cute little striped back-East ground squirrels). Gopher snakes are good things to have. You may also have a tarantula or two, and you WILL have black widows around.

I see some valve boxes, but obviously there is no irrigation going at present. That will be something to look at, along with drainage. That is some hard ground up there and here, everything is trenched (no simple plowing in of pipe and wire) with rigid PVC (no poly pipe out here). We are coming up on fire season in the back country but your lot looks pretty well-cleared. In the rainy season, weeds will begin growing like crazy, through about March, then you won't see rain again until October if you're lucky.

A walk of your lot will show where the run-off occurs during rains, and you want to make note of that and decide what needs to be addressed. Most of the year it is going to be Hot up there, foggy in the mornings in the summer, but hot hot in the afternoons. Yeah, it's a dry heat, mostly, but it's still hot. Plan accordingly. Some landscaping will help with dust control around the house. If you're on city water, it's expensive, so pick drought-tolerant species.

You will also have coyotes in the neighborhood. If you have pets or livestock, you will want to know this and take measures. Fencing including electric might be called for. I also prefer high-powered air rifles for several of the mentioned pests, but I am predisposed that way anyhow. :)

Temecula is growing at a rapid pace, being one of the last affordable areas within driving distance of San Diego. The downtown Old Town is nice, as is your wine country. It's also a mecca for hot air ballooning and you may find one in your yard someday. You are within a short drive to ocean, mountain, and desert, as well as (shudder) LA, if you're so inclined. It's maybe 4 hours to Vegas from there as well.

/ Got a new Place in Temecula, CA, #8  
Ah-life in the desert. Nice property, nice house.
Grapes or orchard crops might be a good choice if you want to farm your land.
How about the well and septic system? How deep is the well? What kind of septic system/leach field do you have?

Good luck.

/ Got a new Place in Temecula, CA, #9  
Big give-away that you're from "the other" California :D

I only hear "the I-15" or "the 10" from southern Californians, or those recently moved up north. Sometimes we'll get a new traffic reporter come up from down south. When they say "the 80" or "the 50" I'm like, "What in the world are you talking about!"

Welcome to Kalifornia! I am just south of you about 45 minutes down the I-15.