Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member DutchHenryBrown's Avatar
    Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Default Re: What kind of snake

If I can when snakes are around the house or barn I try and see if they are rattlers or not. But some times at night or dusk it's kind of hard to tell so I will error on the side of caution.

Tractor
    JD 1025, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010

Looks similar to the Eastern hog hose, so maybe is the Texas hog nose. Not poisonous because the head isn't triangular. Someone else pointed out the the eyes aren't right either. These are good snakes. Shouldn't have been killed. Bet it acts like the Eastern hog hose, which mimicks a cobra. It'll flare out if agitated a bit. Then raise up and hiss with the flare. If you whack it with something, it'll roll over and play dead.

A poisonous snake will act much more menacing if threatened.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Tractor
    Kubota L4330 w/FEL

Bad snake to kill, good snake to have left to live.

Enjoy your rat population.

No offense, but you live in TX and don't know the types of venomous vs. non-venomous snakes in your area???

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Yep harmless Hognose. They are a threat to frogs and that's about it.
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

A few weeks ago I was working in the yard. My bulldog sarted to bark and growl. There was noone or other animals around. When I went over to her there was a Copperhead coiled up in front of her. I went to get the shovel.

Tractor
    ford and mahindra

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Bad snake to kill, good snake to have left to live.

Enjoy your rat population.

No offense, but you live in TX and don't know the types of venomous vs. non-venomous snakes in your area???

Uh, gee FTG. Guess you didn't notice the part where I said when I got there the wife had already done the deed. Copperheads, moccasins, rattlers, and coral snakes are the poisonous ones here I know of. Oops, forgot the libs.

Tractor
    Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920

Hognose snake. No threat to people or pets ......unless you have a pet toad, or an attack frog.
    You forgot the libs?
    Life is like a dick, sometimes it becomes hard for no reason whatsoever.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by robbyr View Post
    Uh, gee FTG. Guess you didn't notice the part where I said when I got there the wife had already done the deed. Copperheads, moccasins, rattlers, and coral snakes are the poisonous ones here I know of. Oops, forgot the libs.
    Lots of folks browse these forums and this thread may enlighten some wives (etc.) down the road...maybe next time sweep it (non-dangerous species) out the door...but I offer a thumbs up to her for dealing with it ... and you get one for the poke at the libs...
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Tractor
    Kubota L4330 w/FEL

Quote Originally Posted by robbyr View Post
    I was using the word "you" generically.

Still no need to kill a good snake. There's really no need to kill a venomous snake either, unless it's right outside your front door.

Also unless its a cottonmouth/water moccasin; kill all those you want, I hate those things!

Tractor
    ford and mahindra

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    I was using the word "you" generically.

Still no need to kill a good snake. There's really no need to kill a venomous snake either, unless it's right outside your front door.

Also unless its a cottonmouth/water moccasin; kill all those you want, I hate those things!
    Years ago we had a little pond that was split by the driveway approaching my parents' house. Some summers it would be teeming with water moccasins. We would shoot at em with our .22's and if you missed them things would come after you. One night I got home late from a softball game that I had gone to in our little car. When I drove up I saw a big snake coiled up behind the back tire of my truck. Being a circle drive I went on around, went in and got my 22, and drove back around. Got out of car and got a good angle and shot in the midst of balled up snake. Nothing happened. Shot again and that thing kinda jumped (musta had little feet) and came straight at me. I was wearing shorts and cleats and backing up shot five or six times. It finally died and I was one step from getting back in car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast