What kind of snake

/ What kind of snake #1  

robbyr

Elite Member
Tractor
ford and mahindra
What kind of snake do you think this may be? At home with bum knee, was out in the front yard with the wife watching her get ready to paint when we noticed her mom's German shepherd barking non stop. We can see her drive so I was pretty sure there was nobody there. Wife says there must be a snake on the porch which I immediately scoffed at and pronounced the dog stupid. As usual, she was right and I was wrong Again. She got him with a shovel. I usually know when I see a snake what kind it is but this time uncertain. See what you think. Around here common would be copperhead, moccasin, chicken snake, black runner, and some rattlers ( which I'm lucky enough to have never seen in my 47 years). I haven't consulted google yet. Puff adder image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg maybe?

/ What kind of snake #2  
I know!

A dead snake.. The best kind!

:)

/ What kind of snake #4  
Actually, its probably harmless. Look at its eyes. The pupils are round. Venomous snakes have slit pupils and pits on their noses, generally.

I'll never understand why folks kill stuff without question. It was probably a good mouser.

/ What kind of snake #5  
That looks like a Texas hog nose snake to me.

Boone

/ What kind of snake #8  
Pretty sure that's a hog nosed snake, or puff adder as it's sometimes know. They're big sissies, play possum and don't harm anyone. Hope you give the next one a free pass.

/ What kind of snake #9  
You know .... it's a real shame for the snake - BUT:

There are very few snakes that I immediately recognize as non-venomous. Frankly, if I'm not sure, I'm not going to spend much time trying to figure it out. My wife, myself and my dogs, are my focus and the snake is just going to have a bad day. Fortunately, for all involved, it doesn't generally happen all that often.

/ What kind of snake
As I mentioned earlier, I usually recognize the snakes around here. Just flat out didn't in this case. When I got there the missus had already done him in. He was on the dog's bed on the porch and that was his undoing. She said she thought was a copperhead at first til got closer then thought maybe some kinda rattler but no rattles. Grass snakes, water snakes, chicken snakes, garter snakes etc. I don't pay any mind to.