Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #31  
Our corporate IT department oversees about 30,000 personal computers, probably 80% laptops and they will not install Windows 8 for time being. Just got new Dell Engineering Laptop with Windows 7 Pro and works fine. No personal experience with Windows 8 but it's reputation is not great.

Rick

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #32  
Our corporate IT department oversees about 30,000 personal computers, probably 80% laptops and they will not install Windows 8 for time being. Just got new Dell Engineering Laptop with Windows 7 Pro and works fine. No personal experience with Windows 8 but it's reputation is not great.

Rick

Of course not. There is a lot of testing and IT work that needs to be done before any major change in the OS is implemented. The same is true for any large company and usually isn't a reflection of the OS itself.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #33  
Forget Microsoft.

Switch to Apple.

Not a major transition. WORD and EXCEL exist for Apple, I use them.

Minimal travails with Apple.

Last edited:
   / Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #35  
Of course not. There is a lot of testing and IT work that needs to be done before any major change in the OS is implemented. The same is true for any large company and usually isn't a reflection of the OS itself.

We changed to Windows 7 from XP within weeks of its intro so not true.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #36  
Forget Microsoft.

Switch to Apple.

Not a major transition. WORD and EXCEL exist for Apple.

Minimal travails with Apple.

I have thought of this too. But cost?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #37  
Apple is more; doubtless.

Paying Apple's price is worthwhile for its higher quality hardware and superlative operating system.

Switching from Microsoft to Apple will add years to your life.

Did I mention I have never had a virus invasion problem on my Mac?

Last edited:
   / Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #38  
my old Toshiba notebook with win7 died and the new one came with 8 and I hate it. It is made for a touch screen and to look and work like your smart phone and not a computer. It sucks and I would get rid of it if I could. XP rocks:D

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #40  
Been using Win 8 for almost a year. Unfortunately, most computer operating systems seem to take time understanding and tweeking to one's taste. I do not use the "Start" screen (or Metro) and go to the desktop and do all my operations there. I have icons for all the software (Word, Excel, IE, Chrome, Wordpad, etc.) and internal commands (Run, Command Prompt, Control Panel, Computer, Calculator, File Explorer, etc.) I use and it works just great. My wife is not a computer fan, and she uses it just fine. If Microsoft was going to continue supporting XP, I would have stayed with it. With XP, I rarely used the "Start" menu and just used the icons on the desktop anyhow. Once setup, there really is not much difference. If Apple Mac's weren't so expensive, I wouldn't mind trying one. Cheapest is about $1300.