Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #661  
windoes vista 2 ( 8 ) now that's funny!

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #662  
You guys are gonna have the MAC buzzards back in here if you don't quit whining about windows 8.1 :D

My wife still loves it. I set it up to have the software she uses open in desktop mode and put some shortcut buttons in the taskbar.
The default desktop screen, right out of the box, is a nice even blue, with no icons or wallpaper themes on it.

I told her I could make the Metro background the same color and un-clutter the shortcut boxes in Metro, but she said don't bother.

Hers is a desktop computer with a regular monitor, not some silly little thing that you pinch, squeeze, swipe, and squint to see.
But it would connect to all that kind of stuff and act as one system if we wanted it too. That was the design purpose of W-8.
Before that everyone was complaining of multi system incompatibility. There will always be complainers and others who are users.
I'm sure we all have purchased vehicles and farm equipment that had features we didn't like. ( Look at the other forum posts):laughing:
We either learn to use them, avoid the part we don't like, or get rid of them. And yes, we complain about them too, including me; but the swallows just smile and keep grabbing bugs as we mow.
:thumbsup:

I dont mind it either... Like any new OS GUI, it takes time to become acquainted.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8?
So if I have windows 8 will I be able to download Windows 7 for free? I thought these guys were the smartest people in the room?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #664  
Nope.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8?
OK, I'm the OP and have had windows 8 and 8.1 for a year now. It's OK but there are bugs that defy logic and is very annoying. For starters, certain videos won't play without extra work I can't figure out.

Since then I see many new computers that come with Windows 7. If it were today, that's what I would buy. And maybe, if I had money to burn I would think about an Apple product. That's just my opinion.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #666  
Well, now you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 (for free for one year)

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #667  
Well, now you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 (for free for one year)

Yes Windows 7 and 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free within one year from the Windows 10 release date. Don't know why they didn't include Windows 8 so I upgraded that to 8.1 for free a few days ago. The process was fairly painless but a 4GB download was required.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #668  
Just to make it clear. You can update for free and use for a year ..... Then you have to pay for it.
They want to save face with 8. But they aren't that generous!
May be a few months before available to all.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #669  
Just to make it clear. You can update for free and use for a year ..... Then you have to pay for it.

I believe your statement is false. What is the source of that info?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #670  
Here is the link directly to Microsoft's Windows 10 page. Scroll down to the blue colored section to read the details. Looks like the upgrade is free for the first year after launch, then they will begin charging (that is how I read it).

Windows 10 - Microsoft Windows