Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I'm in the market for a new laptop but have read many negatives about Windows 8. Then again, I know about tractors but not computer operating systems. I'm computer savvy in a working sense but not sure if I should go ahead with the computer now and Windows 8 or wait for the introduction of whatever it is that's next.

If you have Windows 8, does it work for you and are you happy with it? Anyone with experience in Windows 8 please offer an opinion.

Thank you.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #2  
You will be hard pressed to find a laptop without windows 8.Personaly I don't like for a PC.I had Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my most recent PC.Cost a few bucks but worth it IMHO.
Do a internet search,you may find some old stock with Windows 7.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #3  
You can order a laptop with windows 7, especially business laptops,. I would advise you stay away from 8.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #4  
If you have Windows 8, does it work for you and are you happy with it? Anyone with experience in Windows 8 please offer an opinion.

I have Windows 8 and it's a POS! The soon-to-be-released Windows 8.1 will be lipstick on a pig. I got Windows 8 to work after spending a month applying various tweaks/programs so that it now functions similar to Windows 7. Do yourself a favor and get a new laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed. Waiting for the next whatever would be a mistake because the propeller-heads at Microsoft are now married to the Windows 8 app concept.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #5  
Microsoft seems be pretty consistent and get every other operating system wrong. Think about it:
Windows 95 - decent
Windows 98 - crap (includes variations such as SE, Millennium, and such)
Windows XP - good
Windows Vista - crap
Windows 7 - decent
Windows 8 - crap

I'm not counting stuff like NT and 2000 because I think they were more business OS's, but NT was crap and 2000 worked okay sometimes.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #6  
Ubuntu..

Wedge

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #7  
I've got it and can use it, but certainly don't like it as well as XP or Windows7. There was a recent thread on this, but I can't find it.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #8  
I've got it and can use it, but certainly don't like it as well as XP or Windows7. There was a recent thread on this, but I can't find it.

:laughing: Windows 9 will *definitely* fix that.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #9  
Microsoft seems be pretty consistent and get every other operating system wrong. Think about it:
Windows 95 - decent
Windows 98 - crap (includes variations such as SE, Millennium, and such)
Windows XP - good
Windows Vista - crap
Windows 7 - decent
Windows 8 - crap

I'm not counting stuff like NT and 2000 because I think they were more business OS's, but NT was crap and 2000 worked okay sometimes.

For some reason I really liked 2000.

I'm pretty happy with 7. My sister has 8 and hates it, I checked it out and I can see why. Maybe you just have to get used to it? 8.1 is supposed to make 8 work more like 7 from what I understand :confused: , seems kinda backwards to me... it is also supposed to be a free upgrade. At least microsoft seems to be paying attention to the feedback.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #10  
Just curious -- what are the problems with Windows 8?

Steve