Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: Need to find survey marker rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Jstpssng View Post
    Assuming he has the same surveyor find it. Asking someone to replace one pin based on somebody else's work is about like asking someone to rebuild three cylinders in your truck.
    I had the same survey outfit come back that did the original survey. It did help that they have all the records on file and are familiar with the layout.

I hunted that missing pin for months off and on since we bought that piece last year. I was sort of hoping the surveyor wouldn't walk right to it, and look at me like I was blind or something. On the other hand, that would have been cheaper.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    John Deere 855

If the road your talking about is public, your corner was most likely set at the edge of the right of way. If you know the width of the right of way you could measure from the center of the road to get closer.

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

Again, measuring from the adjacent pins should bring you very, very close. How close depends on how accurately you measure.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    I had the same survey outfit come back that did the original survey. It did help that they have all the records on file and are familiar with the layout.

I hunted that missing pin for months off and on since we bought that piece last year. I was sort of hoping the surveyor wouldn't walk right to it, and look at me like I was blind or something. On the other hand, that would have been cheaper.
    Oh, I hate it when they do that. There's even a term for it... looking with your eyes closed.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, JD 2240, 420

The area I live in, the electric poles are set in the R/W on the property lines [330' intervals] So, if you live on that side of the road, the pin should be just inboard of the pole. If there is a power line easement, the pin should be on the road side of the pole. And if you are on the other side of the road, the pin will be exactly opposite of the pole. While the poles are survey'd before they install them, I'd go with the pin to be exact...

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Coyote machine,

I have one of these, and have located all my corner markers.

If the surveyor found the rod with a yellow stick type metal locator, just keep digging in that area.

Those yellow sticks are really good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNSON-40-6...item4d0df9eef5

Johnson Level's Magnetic Locators will detect ferrous metal objects above and below ground, and are perfect for locating survey corner markers, PK and Mag Nails, valve boxes, steel and iron pipes, well casings, steel tanks, lost tools, downed and buried fence lines and more...
    Last edited by J_J; 10-14-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

I am a land surveyor and when I read these threads, I'm always left shaking my head. The only way I can compare it would be asking on this forum, my appendix needs to come out, its a simple operation, can I do it my self?

First off, GPS isn't a magic bullet, a home owner can not set a missing corner with GPS, it takes a expensive system, say $20,000 or more.

Second, do you know who did the original survey? If I think it will only take a few minutes, I will often just stop at some ones place on my way home from work and locate it for free if I did the original survey.

Third, like someone else said, the best way to pinpoint a corner is to measure from two other corners. Say your southwest corner is missing. The best way would be to measure from the northwest corner and the southeast corner and pinpoint the location. Of course this only works if the distances are fairly short and the property is somewhat rectangular in shape.
    Dave,
    BX2350

I guess you could say surveying is as much art as science. When I bought 10 acres in Navarro County, I was talking to a banker about getting a survey and he told me that on the last property he had surveyed, he had 3 different surveyors survey it and they came up with 3 different surveys. The steel pipes were all still in place at the 4 corners of my property; a perfect rectangle, and exactly 10 acres. But when I sold it, the buyer wanted a new survey, which was fine with me, as long as he was paying for it. Well, the surveyor he hired decided the property was actually 3" wider at the back than at the front, so a tiny bit more than 10 acres. And of course since it was fenced, nobody moved any fences.
    Bird

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I guess you could say surveying is as much art as science. When I bought 10 acres in Navarro County, I was talking to a banker about getting a survey and he told me that on the last property he had surveyed, he had 3 different surveyors survey it and they came up with 3 different surveys. The steel pipes were all still in place at the 4 corners of my property; a perfect rectangle, and exactly 10 acres. But when I sold it, the buyer wanted a new survey, which was fine with me, as long as he was paying for it. Well, the surveyor he hired decided the property was actually 3" wider at the back than at the front, so a tiny bit more than 10 acres. And of course since it was fenced, nobody moved any fences.
    That could be a case of better equipment now than when your lot was originally laid out.(If not a case of one surveyor was better than another... or a combination of both) My math is a bit rusty, but given that the parcel is rectangular I believe that gives you an error of closure of around 1:2800.
    Dealing with old deeds can be interesting to say the least; I've seen 3 "100 acre more or less" parcels carved out of a two hundred acre block.

My deed would scare you... no metes and bounds, just "by the land of, by the land of," Only one sideline and part of another has pins and descriptions... two abutters deeds read the same and the fourth side is the town road.

Silver Member
    DC currently, soon Upper Hudson River Valley where our acreage is located.
    Tractor
    Still looking

I am fortunate to have a good 60 era survey of our 80 acres originally purchased in 1905. The original deed mentions a large stump for one corner. The surveyor set galvanized posts in the back corners which you would never find in the woods if they were just stakes. I was able to this week pretty much walk the Northern line based on the line trees and walked right up to the NE corner post. The Southern line is easy because someone recently surveyed it and hung pink ribbons which correspond to red paint marks on line trees which I previously never noticed. This was likely NY State as the adjacent property is a wood lot owned by the State which was last logged 10 years ago or so.

A few years ago I had taken the map of the plats in the area which include roads and in an old copy of Photoshop overlaid this onto a 60 era USGS topo map of the area and estimated the coordinates of the corners and got the coordinates of the corners. I recently loaded a Topo Maps app on my iPhone and downloaded the same USGS and held the phone over the posts and dropped a pin onto those coordinates. Checking my estimates of the coordinates from my previous work against what the GPS and Topo Maps was saying the actual location was I was pleasantly surprised that the NE corner exactly matched my estimate! The SE corner was off by .0001 for the latitude and .0003 for the longitude. This actually corrects my photoshop estimate since my work had the SE corner post just on the Eastern edge of a small ravine while actually it is on the Western edge of the ravine. I like the old USGS topo maps since they accurately show the ravines and old fire roads on my property, some of which are well established and some of which are barely discernible.

It is all academic since there is zero activity on heavily timbered N, E & S sides of my property, but useful to know.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast