Need to find survey marker rod!

/ Need to find survey marker rod! #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
A while back I was dumping dirt off the side of my dirt road onto the space by my property line and inadvertently buried my survey rod. I had a surveyor doing work next door and asked him to use his metal detector to find the stake. He gave me an area to dig in and I had my hired hand do some digging but he did not find the stake.
So without going to a lot of trouble or having to rehire a surveyor for just one pin, what to do to locate it and recover the pin without moving it from where it's supposed to be. I do have my TLB, but I don't want to just dig it up.....

Any Ideas?

TIA,

CM

/ Need to find survey marker rod! #2  
Rent, buy, or borrow a metal detector. When you find where you think it is, dig very carefully. How deep did you bury it? It shouldn't be very deep... considering that you only own property on one side of the marker.
Good luck. ;-)

/ Need to find survey marker rod!
There's probably 3-5'deep in the general area. If I knew where to dig, even close, I'd likely have found it when my worker dug before...
I'm most interested in any method(s) involving using the other markers, for instance, to locate the buried one.

/ Need to find survey marker rod! #4  
How big is your lot? do you have a good deed description? if it isn't very big you can triangulate from your two nearest corners to get an approximate location... but if it's buried that deeply you may find yourself having a full survey done.

/ Need to find survey marker rod!
I'm not having a survey done for one roadside pin. I'm bordered by my road and an old cemetery next to the pin, so it's not an issue- I just want to locate it.

/ Need to find survey marker rod! #6  
When I bought my land I drove 30" lengths of 1-1/2"" capped galvanized iron pipe into the ground so only 4" protruded, inside of the pin.

Too late now, but worth the addition when you find your missing pin.

/ Need to find survey marker rod! #7  
Get out your deed it will have the "land description written out" You can reference your P.O.B and then follow the description . Example: North 300' then East 100 '
You always start from P.O.B. (point of beginning) and you end there as well. The example i used is very simple to give you an idea, however, most land descriptions
are not. Just follow your's using a compass and a good tape or accurate range finder, before you know it you will be digging up you're marker.

/ Need to find survey marker rod! #8  
Get out your deed it will have the "land description written out" You can reference your P.O.B and then follow the description . Example: North 300' then East 100 '
You always start from P.O.B. (point of beginning) and you end there as well. The example i used is very simple to give you an idea, however, most land descriptions
are not. Just follow your's using a compass and a good tape or accurate range finder, before you know it you will be digging up you're marker.

It might be easier to use the cemetery deed description depending on how old it is, but doing this should get you close.

A surveyor probably wouldn't need to do a complete survey. I had a missing pin re-installed on a corner this summer. The surveyor used reference markers that I didn't know existed. One was about 1000' feet up the road, a second was about 30' from the actual corner, and the third was back in the woods about 80'. He looked them up on a laptop database, then got out his fancy tools and tripod.

Cost about $300 but there was no way I was going know where that corner pin was supposed to be without a surveyor. I think the original pin got dug up by the state in a culvert replacement project. They started with a metal detector until they were satisfied the pin was missing.

I drive 7' studded t-posts in near the surveyor's pins and keep the tops painted yellow so I can see them from a distance through the trees.

/ Need to find survey marker rod! #9  
If it's a fairly recent survey the pin was likely located by GPS and putting a new one doesn't require a survey.
Short of that, a good metal detector should eventually pick something up.

/ Need to find survey marker rod! #10  
If it's a fairly recent survey the pin was likely located by GPS and putting a new one doesn't require a survey.
Assuming he has the same surveyor find it. Asking someone to replace one pin based on somebody else's work is about like asking someone to rebuild three cylinders in your truck.