Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt?

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt? #1  

JasG

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2650,
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with some of the compound bows that have a wide range of adjustment? Like a Mathews Craze or Bear Outbreak.

My daughter is 12 and has out grown her youth bow. She has been using her current bow for almost 2 years and does very well with it, but it's just too small now. So it's time to pass that to her younger brother and get her something different. If these bows are as advertised it would be great to find one that she can grow with and at some point hunt with.

She has taken hunter safety (still needs to take the bow hunting course and needs a lot more practice) and has started hunting small game, but would like to big game hunt with a bow when she can. While I have shot bow as long as I can remember I've always done it just for fun with older bows and just am not familiar with what is out there now.

Any advice is helpful.

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt? #2  
Make sure you have the legal poundage for the game you intend to hunt. If she doesn't mind using the compound bow, I'd stick it. All my bows are Bear, but they're all recurves. (I'm kind of old fashioned. I'll mount a sight and a stablizer on the bow, but I'm not into the eccentric wheel business as I don't have a problem drawing and holding - although you might want to check back in a decade when I hit 65. ;-)

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt?
My dad had a recurve that he never used for hunting so I started using it when I was probably 12. I do like recurves and probably why my current bow is a lever limb Oneida that I found what I thought was a good deal on it. I bought that just so I could shoot with my daughter.

For her though I want to stick with a compound for your point with the drop off you can shoot a larger poundage easier than a recurve.

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt? #4  
There are bows for youths that have a wide adjustment in poundage and draw.I would check with a local pro shop,I think Mathews makes one.I wouldn't recommend a recurve for a young shooter even tho that's what I started with.We are going thru the same with our grand-kids.I found a Parker(used) youth model, good find because he is a lefty.

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt? #5  
I have been looking at compounds lately and remembered where I saw a youth bow.
Bear Apprentice..15-27" draw adjustment and 15-60# ,sounds like a winner.$279.00 list.

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt?
I have been looking at compounds lately and remembered where I saw a youth bow.
Bear Apprentice..15-27" draw adjustment and 15-60# ,sounds like a winner.$279.00 list.

I have already look at a few models, I just don't know anyone who owns one.

For another $20.00 Bear and Mathews both have bows that have a greater range of adjustment. The Bear Outbreak and the Mathews Craze both at $299.00, Mathews actually has a few other models also that are similar.

How good they are? That is my question, if they really can be a good bow across such a wide range of draws and weights.

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt? #7  
My daughter has a bear apprentice and my son shoots a lefty Hoyt rampage. Great bows.

SA

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt? #8  
My daughter had the Mission Menace, I believe the Craze is an updated version, and it was rock solid. I wouldn't have hesitated to use it as a back up if I had needed to. Very simple adjustments and no bow press required.

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt? #9  
Another A+ for Mission Menace. My boy shot his and it has done very well throughout the ranges of his growth. Started with just enough that he could pull it back and it is maxed out now! Quality bows they are turning out.

/ Good bow for a young one who wants to hunt? #10  
I would say any offering in a youth model from the major bow companies would do well. The main thing I would advise is, like others have said, find a GOOD pro shop and have the bow set up and properly tuned for her and the way she shoots best. The most expensive bow, improperly set up for the individual, can be frustrating. Even a cheaper bow, on the other hand will be a tack driver with good practice.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet