Alternatives to tire chains?

/ Alternatives to tire chains?
You could try putting screws into the lugs or heavy parts of your tire treads. I did this on the Ag tires on my Gravely but really didn't have a good chance to try it out, as I bought my JD 4wd not long after that. You just screw some approximately 3/4" (or whatever you can get away with into the rubber lugs) sheet metal screws.

Ralph
I have chains on the tractors. I'm looking, mostly for something for my Jeep Liberty and F150 4x4. Today is one of those few times that I'd feel better with more traction. I crept down with the Ford and didn't slide and did OK coming back up the hill. Don't think my wife would have tried it.

The picture shows one of problem areas. Making the curve going down or up can be ride!

Attachments

• snowcruve.jpg
    snowcruve.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 175
   / Alternatives to tire chains?
I may be wrong but I got the impression the OP was talking about an alternative to putting strap on chains on his car to get up and down the hill of his driveway.

He already has chains for his tractors, thus my answer early on.

Then when I look at his web site address at the bottom of his post he has a bunch of jeeps, so I am not sure what the situation really is all about?

The issue is ice. Jeeps go great, but stopping on ice is another issue. A vehicle starting to slide on that curve is very dangerous and hard on underwear. I have tried to break up the ice when possible, with the tractor chains and have even used a ratchet rake.

/ Alternatives to tire chains? #13  
If you want to spend about $2000. Check these out
http://www.onspot.com/indhisfr.htm
I have seen these on light duty vehicles jeep, pickups etc
, they will lower your available ground clearance , but work with the flip of a switch, they do require annual maint or take them off in the summer

/ Alternatives to tire chains? #14  
The issue is ice. Jeeps go great, but stopping on ice is another issue. A vehicle starting to slide on that curve is very dangerous and hard on underwear. I have tried to break up the ice when possible, with the tractor chains and have even used a ratchet rake.

It looks like I did understand your situation then, if you look at post #4.

The picture adds even more clarity to your particular situation. I have another hill that is before the one described in post #4 that is not quite as steep
as yours but is 400' long and has a 90 degree curve like yours at the bottom. Luckily we have a field on the right side of it as well to slide into if it is drifted at that corner. Our jeep has a pan under the oil pan that becomes a big snowboard if the snow is too deep.
We usually put a roll of hay in the back of the 4WD pickup in deep snow and use it to get to the barn where the tractor is since the truck has lots of clearance.

Do you have room at the bottom of the hill near the road to have a parking spot?
You could leave or have your wife leave your town car there in these situations and have a jeep or your tractor with chains there to shuttle up and down the hill.
We have done that in the past with 2 WD vehicles.

Once the ice has formed or been packed it is going to be a waiting game with trees on both sides of your lane. Time to put on the boots and walk up to the house. We have done that a few times as well.

/ Alternatives to tire chains? #15  
That's a tricky looking hill and turn for sure.

Would you consider widening the turn and putting some asphalt in that stretch? It would melt faster and drain better, leaving less time it is iced up maybe.

/ Alternatives to tire chains? #16  
If you want to spend about $2000. Check these out
Onspot - The Automatic Tire Chain
I have seen these on light duty vehicles jeep, pickups etc
, they will lower your available ground clearance , but work with the flip of a switch, they do require annual maint or take them off in the summer

Wow thats interesting. I've never seen anything like those. If they work or not, no idea, but neat.

To the OP do you have a loader on your tractor? Maybe you can get a load of 1/2 gravel delivered before winter every year and spread it in the scarry spots throughout the winter. It would not be a waste as you probably have to add a bit of gravel to maintain it anyways.:2cents:

/ Alternatives to tire chains? #17  
Buy a tandem load of small gravel and leave it in a pile at the bottom. Occasionally spread it on the ice. It doesn't take much to get great traction.

Last edited:
   / Alternatives to tire chains? #18  
In the subdivision I have been looking to buy in CO, there are 2 "major" steep hills.

There is pretty much nothing to stop your slide all the way to the bottom, and both have switchbacks where you can go over the side pretty quick. This photo taken mid summer and it was just within the ability of my 2wd Dodge Ram to handle traction wise...

Bigbadhill.jpg

In speaking to residents there, they say that typically there are 2-3 months of the year where access by car of any sort is simply impossible. To remain mobile they park on the county road (which is serviced) and take a snowmobile up to the homes on top.

/ Alternatives to tire chains? #19  
You need to cut some trees and maybe add a bit of camber to the turn (bank it so it isn't quite so bad). Winter is a great time to cut trees, especially in your mild climate. :)

/ Alternatives to tire chains? #20  
I've got a mile of gravel road that goes up and down two hills, one very steep and one moderate. In both cases there is a nearly 90 degree turn in the middle of the grade - the road was dictated by an estate settlement, not common sense. It is a lovely forest drive when there is no ice or snow. Ice and snow are bad. And, since the drive cuts down the side of a hill in most cases, sliding off would probably mean a roll-over or total loss. I have chains for all four wheels of my F-150 - loaded with firewood, and two chains for my old Jimmy 4 X 4. My wife drives a Subaru Outback that is fine in a few inches of snow.

I have to take any snow off the slopes asap because running over it will pack it into ice quickly. Chains work with most ice, unless it is very cold following ice over snow. I've slid about 80 feet with good, square cut chains because they could not find a grip.

My response is pushing snow as soon as it accumulates. I also have a drive that is somewhat wider than average so I can scrape it down to the gravel - picking up gravel but moving it into a pile still on the gravel. I come back after the melt with a box blade or grader blade and put the gravel back.

I have also carefully placed large logs along the downhill side of the road along all my drive. These logs, average about 15 inches diameter, are held in place where necessary with locust stakes pounded in behind them. Actually, when there is ice, they are frozen to the ground anyway and won't move.

Since my sliding is usually quite slow, sliding out and bumping one of those logs will bounce you back onto the road and you can slide on down the hill. I believe I'd have to be going pretty fast to go over the logs.

When I have ice on the hills, I also attack it with my ratchet rake. I just run up the hill, put the blade down and back down to bring up gravel. It tears up the gravel, but gives you traction. Then I go back after the snow has melted and smooth it over.

Generally we only have a few really bad times each winter here in Virginia, and I also just try to not go out. If I have to, I park the Outback at the end of my drive and take my truck out to it - with chains on.

All that said, I am planning to buy chains for my little CUT simply for extra traction when I have to work ice. I have an indoor place to mount the chains, and will probably hold putting them on any given winter until the first weather forecast that would make me think I'd really need them... Then leave them on for the rest of the winter. Some winters that might mean I never put them on.

Living in the county with a long, hilly, curvy drive means you will never have an assured solution to egress under all conditions. You just work the storm and accept the problem as the price of living where you want.