Deer Whistles

/ Deer Whistles #1  

LSmith

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
Our Land is about 5 hours from home up the Natchez Trace Parkway. In the past month or so I have had numerous close calls with deer on or crossing the roadway. Having hit a deer with a 1/2 ton truck several years ago I know the damage they can inflict on a vehicle. Do bumper mounted deer whistles work or do the fall into the realm of electronic bug repellers and other pesudo-science?

Lane Smith

/ Deer Whistles #2  
No studies to cite, but I remember reading somewhat recently that they don't make any difference.

/ Deer Whistles #3  
Years ago I was talking to one of our local Deputy Sheriffs when I noticed that he had deer whistles on the front of his cruiser. I asked him if they worked, and he said every cruiser in the department had them on and they haven't had a car/deer accident since then. That was good enough for me and I've had them on my vehicles ever since without any hits. The deer population is very high in this area with lots of car/deer hits every year. It might be voodoo science but it works for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Deer Whistles #4  
Well, I'll tell you what happened to me. I was coming back from Jacksonville. FL. and a few miles north of it hit a deer with my van. I was lucky in that it took my grill out, and air, but didn't bust the radiator, so I drove it home. The first and only deer I have ever hit. I had the deer Whistles on the bumper. I talked to a guy here that I know pretty well, and knew he traveled a lot. I told him about it and he told me the only time he hit one, he had them on to. Said he knew other people that had it happen the same way. And that he would never have them again.. He ain't the only one, I never will either.

/ Deer Whistles #5  
The best whistle comes from an open ended piece of pipe that is used for a welded up sched. 40 pipe grill quard that is bolted to the frame.

Egon

/ Deer Whistles #6  
LOL, like the whistle of a texas hill country brush guard. You dont know the meaning of a high deer population untill you drivr through there. There is at least 1 road kill per 1/2 mile. On the other hand a 44 mag makes a pretty good whistle too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dave

/ Deer Whistles #7  
I've been down through that country, they seem to come out at night, you see dozens of them all along the road. One guy said he thought the deer whistles worked like a magnet, kind of draws them to it, when they hear it. Really myself, I think it confuses them, is why they jump in front of your car. Without them, I have passed them within just a very few feet of the car, and they just stayed there and watched me pass. So if you want to get some body work done on you car, put them on, I believe in a short time, you can take it to the body shop. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Deer Whistles #8  
The goverment agency I retired from, decided to test deer whistles on part of their fleet. Our district was selected and whistles were installed on all of the districts 100 + vehicles. They were run with the whistles for one year, then all deer related accidents from our district was pulled up and compared to previous years. There was absolutely no difference between with whistles and without. The best you can do is simply slow down in areas with a heavy deer population.

/ Deer Whistles #9  
Man ! I was sort of hoping they'd work !
I had this plan to mount them backwards and get deer to follow me home . John

/ Deer Whistles #10  
good question......
there is an electronic one made by Kuryikan(sp),tested for 1000'ft plus straight ahead, high pitch, 160 + db.....about $120.....
i had one on a harley for about a year and deer will definately look up and flick their ears.... never had a close call....check with your local harley shop or DENNIS KIRK
sold the bike to buy a CENTURY /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
different priorities when you buy 10 acres /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

good luck,
bluebonnet2