Propane shortage

/ Propane shortage #2  
Interesting. Around here houses not on a gas line are being aggressively switched to propane. We use oil, which has stayed surprisingly steady at least in our area despite the temperatures.

/ Propane shortage
Propane is expensive, I mostly use wood pellets. Seems there has been some consolidation in the industry. Prices and customer service sucked before, haven't had to deal with the new company yet. If you are on heating oil can you go buy it in bulk somewhere and bypass the middleman if you want?

/ Propane shortage #4  
This is our first time ever with propane. I've always had natural gas but it is not available at the house we just built. First load in August when it was installed was $2.99/gallon. Today's refill was $3.59/gallon.

We will have to see how to lock in prices for next year.

/ Propane shortage #5  
Not sure on if you can buy bulk oil from a distributor and cut out the middle man, but we're able to fill our tanks when the price is right (have big tanks) and manage cost that way. I think a lot of new construction and contractors push propane because it's cheaper per gallon, but they neglect to mention that it has fewer BTU's per gallon so you need more of it to generate the same heat. If we keep getting this cold spells its going to be a very expensive winter!

/ Propane shortage #6  
Interesting indeed.

Funny I found this thread, cause just last friday I had a propane bill stuck in my garage door. I was a bit upset as I did not request it. And they even had the name and address wrong on the bill:confused2: with a note in the comments section of my address.

Bill was for ~150 gallons @ $2.59 or something. Now I am set up where they are only supposed to come fill when I request, cause I have a 500 gallon tank, and it only needs filled once every 4-5 years. At the start of this winter I was somewhere aruond 60-70% as I just had if filled a few years ago.

So I called them and the driver wasnt back yet from his route so they had no clue but would be sending someone out to pump out what they put in. I have no idea what they were thinking. But If I had needed propane I would have topped off this summer when it was ~$1.35/gallon......

/ Propane shortage #7  
Somebody made the call that propane was next on the "sucker" list. Last 2 years 1.49, 2 weeks ago 2.39 and with our lack of "global warming", I expect to see another delivery in a week or two at 2.59. I think so many people are converting to nat gas that the propane industry is gouging those that remain because they have no other option. Maybe it's just me but the marketing campaigns for anything (in the case of propane they were flooding TV and radio in the past few years), it's a sign that bad things are coming.

/ Propane shortage #8  
This is during times of normal civility. I'm guessing you could pretty much say bye bye to propane in any dire circumstances or disaster. As such, it is my last choice as a fuel. You can always beg, borrow or steal fuel oil!

Every new house I have seen for a long while is without any wood heating appliance and almost everyone has some LPG or NG fireplace. FOOLS! Exchanging convenience for lack of self sufficiency!

/ Propane shortage #9  
The shortage is bad here they are rationing here only deliver 200 gallons at a time.it might take 2-4 weeks before delivery.

/ Propane shortage #10  
We have a thousand gallon tank and get filled once per year in the summer/early fall, but still it is more each year. They try to get us on monthly schedule every so often but I just tell them I only fill annually and I'll call when I need it filled. For a number of years, we had a delivery driver that called when the price was low in the summer and ask us if we wanted a fill... He retired and the new guy has not figured things out yet...