What does 10 below do to peach trees?

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Has the cold weather damaged my Hale haven and Red Haven peach trees or buds? We went to nine below three times this year and it's starting to make me wonder if the buds have been damaged. I've searched online but they don't seem to address the issue. Anyone know if our low temps have damaged my peach trees?

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #2  
My guess is "No", since my peach trees over the years haven't been bothered by zero and below temps at this time of the year. If I remember, one is a Hale variety, among the four varieties. Best of luck with yours.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #3  
It has been cold in Ohio more than once and we still had peaches on the tree when it got warm. You worry about fruit after you have seen blossoms.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #4  
Ill let you know this spring :) we have two redhaven.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #5  
Peach growers in South Carolina have had to worry about having enough chilling hours during relatively mild winters. That's not going to be a problem this year -- now they have to worry about late frosts.

Steve

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #6  
You should be fine. It's when the buds swell, or flower when the damage can occur.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #7  
You should be fine. It's when the buds swell, or flower when the damage can occur.

That must be the time when the peach growers in some counties here, hire Helicopters to sit with the engines running / rotors turning to save the peaches. Always seemed like extreme measures to me ,but I guess if it's your living, you'll do what it takes

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #8  
I think the only danger to the peaches would be if the temperature was cold enough for long enough to freeze the ground down to the level of the root zone. I think in zones where the frost may go deeply into the ground, you could see some damage. I would suspect that black poly on the ground around the trunks would help keep the ground warm, but you don't want it so warm that it encourages early budding and subsequent frost damage. As with many things, it's a balancing act between doing too much and too little.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees? #9  
Yeah, I think you're okay until blossoms come out. I lost a native maple tree a few years ago after it budded. That was at me place in Georgia too! Shocked me. Freeze split the bark at base of tree, it became firewood.

/ What does 10 below do to peach trees?
Well, we're going to find out because it's going to 16 below tomorrow night and the high for Tuesday is only going to be 2 below. Funny, but I can't even remember the heat of summer right now.