covering garage floor

/ covering garage floor #1  

dr3131

I am considering covering my garage floor that was poured about 1 month ago with epoxy. I have reviewed everything on the site about this and there appears to be many different brands/prices.
Has anyone had good/bad experiences with ucoatit, griotsgarage, sherwin williams, other products.
What was the average cost?
How slippery is the epoxy?
How long have they lasted?
Thanks in advance

/ covering garage floor #2  
I wish I could say I have experience. I have been putting off painting the inside of my garage for seven years. I swore I was going to get it done this year but another season is past and no paint. I did get bids. I have a 3.5 car garage or roughly 700 sq'. With the stuff from home depot ( rustoleum ?) I think it was $600 to epoxy the floor. The biggest cost was prepping and cleaning the concrete. I know a few guys that tried to do it themselves but it did not stick. Dave

/ covering garage floor #3  
I used a coating that I got at the masonry store and applied it when the concrete was barely dry. It has held up now for 20 years and I just did another garage floor 2 years ago with the same stuff. Clear coating and it works well to repel water and oil spills.... I like this because I feel that it is part of the KISS method..... No muss, no fuss, no dust..... I don't like paint because the lime in the cement eventually will cause the paint to peel and flake. I have never seen a floor that was painted last 20 years. I have a friend that painted his garage floor with epoxy 3 years ago and now it is starting to peel..... he put carpet down where the tire tracks would be, because the tires were causing it to lift also.......

/ covering garage floor #4  
Here's another option you might want to consider--tiles that snap together placed right on top of any floor. One source is RaceDeck. Website at http://www.racedeck.com/ Another is snap-tite. Undoubtedly this approach costs more up front, but you don't have to do any special preparation to the floor and it is guaranteed for 10 years. Besides it is much snazzier. This is available in a flow through version also that allows liquids to drain through to a floor drain underneath.

JackIL

/ covering garage floor #5  
Just went thru this operation. Concrete crew did a really poor job on my garage floor, bad finish, sprayed sealer and puddled it up, mix in some red clay because folks got on it too soon, you get the idea. Made me mumble every time I looked at it.

Sanded it down to bare concrete to get the sealer off and flatten it out, patched the cracks by filling with epoxy 5 passes and then latex 5 passes to build it up level. Sanded cracks flush and 3 coats of Valspar premium epoxy, 6 gallons at about $35/ gal on 600 sf.

The GC had acknowledged the floor was substandard and had committed to bust it out and repour. However he owned the property next to me and I wanted it, so made him an offer and threw in the crappy floor with it.

I got about $300 and 50 hours invested in the repair. 3 months, still looks like new. Time will tell..........

/ covering garage floor
How about some pictures.
Thanks again for the info.

/ covering garage floor #7  
I believe there was an article in the September issue of The Family Handyman on doing this project.

/ covering garage floor #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How about some pictures.
Thanks again for the info. )</font>

Stepped out and took a shot...not real good but you'll get the idea.

Attachments

• 332780-copy of Garage Floor 001.jpg
    332780-copy of Garage Floor 001.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 294
   / covering garage floor #9  
Here's a utility closet I didn't paint. The garage floor looked kinda like this, only a LOT worse.

Attachments

• 332783-copy2 of Garage Floor 004.jpg
    332783-copy2 of Garage Floor 004.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 262
   / covering garage floor #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe there was an article in the September issue of The Family Handyman on doing this project. )</font>

Quite correct. Just checked my copy. Pages 57 to 66 do a very thorough job of going over the prep, application and pitfalls of do-it-yourself epoxy! I was planning on doing this....but the article is pretty clear not to bother if you had the slab finished with a concrete sealer. You could go to the trouble to grind if off, but /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif that sure would be a LOT of work!!

Good read! I'd take a look if I were you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kevin