Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden?

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden? #1  

kubota4me

Silver Member
Tractor
An orange one
I have posted previously about materials for my garden fence. It will be approximately 140' x 110'. It will need to be about 8' tall. I plan on having green treated 6" x 6" corner posts with a 4" x 4" post in the middle of each side wit t posts to fill out the remainder between the wooden posts. I will have two rolls high of 47" or 48" wire. Also some chicken wire overlapping to some degree the bottom roll of wire. I've been told the field fencing holes are to big and some animals can squeeze through. The utility fencing has 2" x 4" holes which is considerably smaller. The only caveat I can see with it is besides being more expensive than field fencing is that it is welded instead of woven.

This fence obviously is not built to contain any animals, just to keep deer and others out so not much force would be brought against it. Would welded utility fence hold up for what I want it for? I've heard you have to be careful stretching it.

Any comments would be welcome.

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden? #2  
I have used 6' welded 2x4 inch fence. I think it would work for your purpose. I had two different gauges, the heavier gauge was quite a bit tougher.

It is hard to stretch tight, any variation in the ground level makes it even harder.

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden? #3  
The rabbits will love it! I have smaller 2x2 fencing on the bottom and a strand of e'fence on the top. What I had to do to be able to harvest anything was put chicken wire around each and every raised bed. If I had to do it over I would have put chicken wire around the bottom, burried about 3-6'' in the ground at an angle, and then put my other fencing on top.
The field fencing I have around my orchard, I actually had a newborn fawn squeeze through it and eat some new apple trees.

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden? #4  
I read of a new technique to deter deer (who can jump an eight foot fence) where you simply strung wires, a single high wire in the back something like four or five foot off the ground and two strands of wire set a lower height, like 12 or 20 inches off the ground and twelve inches apart, five foot or so in front of the high wire. Apparently deer have no depth perception, so they can't gauge the height or distance of the high wire and get hung up on the low wires in front of them. I'll try to dig up where I read saw this, but if it works it seems it wouldn't be a problem to use the technique in conjunction with a 4 or 5 foot fence instead of the high wire.

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden? #5  
Personally, I would stick to the field fence for both layers, much more durable IMO. easier to stretch too. There was a State study, but I dont remember the State:laughing:, but it has been pretty much adopted. 2 fences spaced 3' apart, 4' tall. As mentioned, it gets the deer in the "perception" department. I did mine the way you're thinking about, just because I didnt want the expense of 2 fences and the maintenance twice.

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden?
I know about the depth perception thing for deer and apparently it works quite effective. However, I'm also interested in keeping out rabbits, opossum, skunks, raccoon and other small mammals. One responder to this thread said that a fawn managed to squeeze through a field fence and that concerns me about the field fence. I know that a twisted/woven field fence is a lot stronger than a welded utility fence withe smaller holes. I plan on going with chicken wire/fence on the bottom over my other fencing and maybe a strand of electric fencing on the top to stop raccoon so my only issue really is to go either with field fencing or utility fencing.

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden? #7  
I would thin the coons out with Dukes dog-proof traps, over using the hot wire. Coon can get through an amazingly small hole.

The field fence I got from TSC 330' role with smaller openings on bottom graduating to the larger on top. High Tensile Field Fence, 14.5 ga., 47 in. H x 330 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.

If for any reason you want to remove a side, say to enlarge the garden, the field fence will roll up better and easier to manage.

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden? #8  
I read of a new technique to deter deer (who can jump an eight foot fence) where you simply strung wires, a single high wire in the back something like four or five foot off the ground and two strands of wire set a lower height, like 12 or 20 inches off the ground and twelve inches apart, five foot or so in front of the high wire. Apparently deer have no depth perception, so they can't gauge the height or distance of the high wire and get hung up on the low wires in front of them. I'll try to dig up where I read saw this, but if it works it seems it wouldn't be a problem to use the technique in conjunction with a 4 or 5 foot fence instead of the high wire.

Have you ever seen a deer clear an 8' fence? I raise whitetails (currently have about 75 head) and the fence we use to keep them in is 8' tall and we have never had one get out. We've been raising them since 2005. But yes, their depth perception is terrible. We use Stay-Tuff 8' high tensile wire. It comes in 330' rolls and is usually around $400, depending on the price of steel at the time. T-posts are kinda pricey too, but they only have to be 25' apart.

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden? #9  
Have you ever seen a deer clear an 8' fence? I raise whitetails (currently have about 75 head) and the fence we use to keep them in is 8' tall and we have never had one get out. We've been raising them since 2005. But yes, their depth perception is terrible. We use Stay-Tuff 8' high tensile wire. It comes in 330' rolls and is usually around $400, depending on the price of steel at the time. T-posts are kinda pricey too, but they only have to be 25' apart.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating 8 foot fences, just was pointing out that it is possible for a deer to clear a fence that high. Six foot fencing has been found to be pretty effective for deer by themselves. In the OP's case, I am suggesting a lower fence in combination with offset wires could accomplish keeping deer out in addition to smaller critters.

/ Field fencing vs. utility fencing for garden? #10  
I have posted previously about materials for my garden fence. It will be approximately 140' x 110'. It will need to be about 8' tall. I plan on having green treated 6" x 6" corner posts with a 4" x 4" post in the middle of each side wit t posts to fill out the remainder between the wooden posts. I will have two rolls high of 47" or 48" wire. Also some chicken wire overlapping to some degree the bottom roll of wire. I've been told the field fencing holes are to big and some animals can squeeze through. The utility fencing has 2" x 4" holes which is considerably smaller. The only caveat I can see with it is besides being more expensive than field fencing is that it is welded instead of woven.

This fence obviously is not built to contain any animals, just to keep deer and others out so not much force would be brought against it. Would welded utility fence hold up for what I want it for? I've heard you have to be careful stretching it.

Any comments would be welcome.

Red Brand makes 2 x 4 woven horse fence.

Kevin