I Heart Birdhouses

/ I Heart Birdhouses #11  
Bluebirds...knocking on wood here but I've yet to see an english sparrow here. But we do have cowbirds and they are just as big a problem with the bluebird nesting boxes. I have a 20 ga Remington bored out to "open" to kill as many as I can (don't worry, even the Audobon Society says to take out as many of either as you can). We watch the hatching carefully and when we are sure the little ones are out (evidenced by mom and dad perched about to keep a careful eye on them), we clean out the boxes and spray them with a bleach solution. They will rebuild and start over. Last year we only got 2 hatches, 2 years ago 3. The other problem we have is black flies that will kill the newborn chicks. Not much I can do there.

/ I Heart Birdhouses
I am just starting to work on establishing a better bird habitat. Found this online and wondering if you think they would use it?
View attachment 360620

Houses are tailored to the specific birds you want to nest there. For bluebirds, the hole must be 1.5" diameter and the inside space must be just right. Same for some other varieties. As mentioned, wrens will build a nest just about anywhere. Just place it where raccoons, snakes or other animals can't get at it.

/ I Heart Birdhouses #14  
I am just starting to work on establishing a better bird habitat. Found this online and wondering if you think they would use it?
View attachment 360620

You could make that for less than $10, I think it would be worth a shot, but as Trout pointed out, may not get the "bird" you want.

Threaded bottom or top would make clean-out a breeze too.

/ I Heart Birdhouses #15  
When you make birdhouses you should always do something to allow the young birds to be able to get from the bottom to the hole...

If the surface is smooth they can't always get up and out of the box...I usually fasten a small piece if fiberglass window screen to the front wall below the hole...
You can also use a small carving chisel gouge and cut a series of horizontal grooves in the wood etc...

/ I Heart Birdhouses
You should also provide some ventilation holes. On many birdhouses, the side walls do not go all the way up to the roof to provide circulation. Honestly, I think I'd steer away from that model if I were you.

/ I Heart Birdhouses #17  
I used to keep ahead of the sparrows and starlings building houses for tree swallows and bluebirds, but after a few years I gave it up. The first two were taking over. Wrens are rare in my area, unless it is a marsh wren in a boggy spot, or winter wren in the woods.

/ I Heart Birdhouses #18  
At my Lake place East TN we have skeeters bad around the house (very wooded) in the open areas not so bad. We are in the process of blowing all the accumulated leaves off the property. Hoping to reduce moisture from decaying leaves.
I suppose any bird house will do but what to you suggest to attract max bug killers?
I have at least 75 trees on 2 acres and wooded areas surrounding it.

/ I Heart Birdhouses #19  
Bird houses can be hard to monitor, so bat houses may be a more productive. At least thy won't attract any of the junk birds. I'm unable to borrow back my own set of plans to share, but they can be found on the net as you'd expect. Our most common variety in MI and most of the Midwest is the "little brown" bat. It's heqq on mosquitoes and doesn't require much open space to nest or feed vs some birds.

I scatter 'mosquito dunks' (pieces, annually) in the dark waters of the woods next door for say $10/yr. (Can't give bats and birds all the credit for keeping the biters' numbers down.) That said, an 'ounce' of prevention may be difficult to appreciate or quantify. You do what you do and hope for the best. In small pools, ponds, etc that some birds or critters may feed from a handful of minnows can knock down generations of mosquitoes before they're all gobbled up. Sometimes 'crazy s__' works. No one thing does it all.

Decent mosquito traps must be fueled (propane, etc) and baited (C02, female attractant) and are intended to clear out generations each season during springtime. Seasonal timing is critical with them, and they seem to be more effective in subdivisions than around wooded areas or open land. Skeeters can only fly short distances, but winds will scatter 'em much farther.

Barn swallows may be among the easier bug eaters to provide for. They will nest in some areas that discourage invaders, esp around human foot traffic that spooks cowbirds and starlings. They don't require houses, much overhead clearance, or attached perches before they're feeding and ready to fledge. Nesting 'ledges' for them placed under eaves will often draw them, but should be very cozily tucked or cornered to discourage robins, say 5-6" max o'head room, etc. (Nest height will reduce that to about half.)

/ I Heart Birdhouses
Bluebirds and tree swallows both eat insects but I'm not sure if they eat mosquitoes or would eat enough to make any difference for you. the old grind has some good ideas about controlling them, some of which we use here. I've attached some plans I drew up for bluebird/tree swallow house if anyone is interested in building their own.

Attachments

• DIY BlueBird House.pdf
    763.6 KB · Views: 64