Need garage revolver

/ Need garage revolver #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Several people in our county have come home to find an intruder inside. This has happened day and night. I am looking for an inexpensive, reliable, no frills 38 revolver to put in a hidden lockbox in the garage or utility room. We generally come in the house thru the locked garage, then walk thru an unlocked door into the utility room, around a corner and up two steps to the main house. The pistol will most likely sit in the lockbox for six months to a year at a time. I see no need to go for a top dollar, bells and whistles firearm. I have that elsewhere.

I do not like the idea of buying a used firearm for self defense use. You never know what kind of abuse it has been subjected to. On the other hand I know little about the cheaper revolvers available.

If I buy new it will have to be a Charter Arms, Rossi, Taurus, or EAA. I have no experience with any of these. It must be a revolver so my wife can also use it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Convince me!!

RSKY

/ Need garage revolver #2  
Smith and Wesson model 64 (38 special) or 65 (.357 mag.).. Stainless. so less chance of rust out in the non humidity controlled enviorment. Cheap, thousands of them were in use by police officers and turned in when the "wonder nine" conversion happened in the 90's. Built like tanks.. always work. Ruger GP100 also would be good. Any of those or similar would be good choices. Fire the ammo out of them once a year and get new put in just to make sure no corrosion forms.

/ Need garage revolver #3  
Might think about a 20ga mossberg defender instead, easier to use in a situation, loaded with your choice of ammo. Sorry to hear that you need to think about having something.

/ Need garage revolver #4  
Several people in our county have come home to find an intruder inside. This has happened day and night. I am looking for an inexpensive, reliable, no frills 38 revolver to put in a hidden lockbox in the garage or utility room. We generally come in the house thru the locked garage, then walk thru an unlocked door into the utility room, around a corner and up two steps to the main house. The pistol will most likely sit in the lockbox for six months to a year at a time. I see no need to go for a top dollar, bells and whistles firearm. I have that elsewhere.

I do not like the idea of buying a used firearm for self defense use. You never know what kind of abuse it has been subjected to. On the other hand I know little about the cheaper revolvers available.

If I buy new it will have to be a Charter Arms, Rossi, Taurus, or EAA. I have no experience with any of these. It must be a revolver so my wife can also use it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Convince me!!

RSKY
Is your wife recoil senstive?I know my wife is, that is why I bought her S&W model 351 revolver in 22 mag.It holds 7 rounds and is very light weight.Nice gun you can hide pretty much anywhere.I would also look at S&W model 642 revolvers or the Taurus Judge revolver in 410 ga./45 long colt.

Last edited:
   / Need garage revolver #5  
I picked up a S&W 1905 in .38 Special for $125 a couple years ago. It spends most of its time riding around under the seat of my pickup, or laying in the garage. I wouldn't worry too much about buying a self defense weapon used, especially if you plan on not touching it for 6 months at a time, no point in spending new money on it. There should be nothing to go wrong in a revolver.

/ Need garage revolver #6  
My opinion would be for a pump shotgun for home defense. It does make an intimating sound when cycling the pump action. 870 -12ga

Dave

/ Need garage revolver #7  
tarus 85 are basic point and click.

you can get airweight aluminum/titanium allow and or poly/steel guns.. most won't shoot +p but fire 38spl fine.

the charter arms are probably the least spendy.. my mom has one in an airweight.

if you get it, run a box of fmj thru it to get it's trigger and mechanism loosened up, clean, and lube and put in some good jhp round sin it. no lrn...

/ Need garage revolver #8  
I fully understand hat You are talking about, but if You come home and find an Intruder inside, You may not have time to go get a weapon out of the Garage or other areas. If you don't have a Carry Permit, keep a revolver in your vehicle, put it in your pocket, and enter your Home. Chances are that an intruder, upon hearing you coming into the House, will take immediate action, one way or the other. I'm not trying to make you paranoid, but going to get a hidden revolver will lessen Your chances of a positive outcome. Thanks for listening.

/ Need garage revolver #9  
i think his point was that it is hid in the garage.. and he enters the house thru the garage.. thus as soon as he steps into his garage.. he's at the gun..

that was my understanding anyway.

/ Need garage revolver #10